2011 15" MBP (early)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anthony81586, May 9, 2012.

1. Anthony81586 macrumors regular

I have a couple of questions as well as concerns regarding my MBP. The first is concerning the ongoing issues I'm having with performance as well as boot up. About a month ago it started feeling sluggish, at least to me as a daily user, and would also sit at the grey boot screen and not actually boot up. I'd have to manually restart it once or twice then it'd be fine. So I did a clean install of Lion and started everything over and saved a time machine back up at that point. Now, it still seems to have that boot issue, as well as when it does boot sometimes the applications on the applications bar just sit there jumping indefinitely without launching. This is fixed with a restart or two.

My concern is why is this happening? I'm suspecting a hard drive failure is imminent but I'm not sure. I do plan to take it to the Mac store next week and have them run some tests on it, but in the mean time I'd like to see if people have experienced these issues before and what the possible results were. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My second and final concern is a question regarding upgraded RAM. I'd like to upgrade from the 4GB to 8GB, I see on the apple store its $400, is there anyplace else that's as reliable and possibly cheaper? Or is the apple store the best and most importantly, safest option?

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It could be a hard drive issue, but it makes sense to eliminate other possibilities. Performance Tips For Mac OS X

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. Anthony81586 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I'll go through those trouble shooting steps to hopefully eliminate possibilities. Also, I'll look into the RAM. Thanks again!

4. Anthony81586 thread starter macrumors regular

It would seem most of this doesn't pertain to my situation since I did a clean install and noticed the issues immediately. But, thanks for the info. The bit about monitoring the memory usage is helpful though, I still plan on upping the RAM.

5. Anthony81586 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I ran a verify disk check yesterday and it came back with an issue, not exactly sure the issue was. Ran the repair and it said whatever was damaged is now fixed. I restarted the computer and it's been running fine since, no sluggishness and the boot up seems to be as smooth as ever.

Hopefully this was a small issue that stays resolved.