2011 15 mbp hi vs. low spec

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spider-pig, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Spider-pig macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi,
    I need you input to finally decide which 15 mbp to get.it'll be my primary work and home pc. I'm only an occasional gamer and majority of time it'll be used for analysis and modeling of large data sets and maybe some movie watching once in a blue moon.Should I consider paying extra for gpu and CPU power or get a base model?

Thanks

2. hogsrul macrumors member

Sounds to me like you only need the low end. I ended up ordering my entry level 15 today, along with 8GB ram. I plan to play lots of movies and do a lot of photo editing on it. I think I will be highly satisfied with it. The upper end would be too much for you and I.

3. aoaaron macrumors 6502

i went for the higher end because:

a) i wanted a 7200 RPM drive
    b) .2ghz processor boost is nice
    c) graphics card is way better.

i was definitley going to upgrade the drive anyway, so its all good.

RAM + SSDs can all be upgraded in the future but the GPU/CPU can't. :)

4. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

For the money difference it is quite an upgrade imo and the benchmarks are out there now to prove it

5. richlee111 macrumors regular

You mentioned that you will be working w/ numbers, i.e. charts, spreadsheets, and graphs and formulas I'm guessing? If so, I recommend that you go low end with the 2.0 CPU, but upgrade the display to the high resolution non-glare. The stock resolution is 1440 x 900 while the high resolution is 1680 x 1050. That by itself is a $100 option. On top of that, if you want, there is also a non-glossy screen option for $50. I recommend that if you are close to an actual Apple Store, you can go check out the screen and compare it with the standard glossy. The stores should carry a high spec configured machine with the high resolution, non-glare screen. Again, seeing that you work w/ numbers, the extra screen real estate will help you to see a lot more at once.

6. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Yes go for high res