2011 15" MBP: Optibay modification questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApplePu, May 4, 2011.

1. ApplePu macrumors regular

It's more than possible that several of my questions have been answered in the hundreds of threads about this topic. Anyway after searching for quite some time I still couldn't find reliable information.

I'm getting my 2011 15" MBP with 2.2 i7 shortly. I'd like to do the optibay modification. The plan is to swap out the stock drive by a 120gb ssd and install a hdd in the optibay. Before doing this, I've got a few questions about the following issues:

1. What SSD will work fine?

I've read several posts about SSDs having trouble with SATA3 speeds. I don't care if it'll run at SATA2 or SATA3 speeds. I don't think I will feel a difference in real world anyway. I would have great offers on an Intel X25-M Gen2 160GB or a Vertex 2 120GB. Can you recommend one of them?

2. What HDD will work fine?

I've read about hibernation issues when installed in optibay. Do I have to worry about that or is this issue not really common?
    I'm looking for a 500 or 750GB HD which should be as fast and as silent as possible at the same time. Is it possible to use 7200 rpm speed or do you recommend 5400 rpm?

3. If I install SSD and 7200RPM HDD will I see a huge increase in power consumption? Would it be slightly better with a 5400 RPM HDD?

Is there anything else I should know? I'm really interested in this mod as I generally don't need a superdrive but could use the speed AND the capacity of this solution. But the most important thing is: I need my machine to be reliable!

Thanks guys!

2. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I actually think a shorter, concise thread on this topic is warranted.

I have been running an SSD and OptiBay Platter drive combo for over a year now. Here is my config:

Mid-2009 MBP 13"
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD in Primary Drive Bay
    WD Scorpio Black 320 (7200 rpm) in OptiBay

Here is what I have learned/observed:
    1. I started with a WED Blue 500GB in the optibay, and it blew out within 3 months. I switched to the WD Black that has the sudden motion sensor (SMS) and have had no further trouble.

2. My battery power is definitely affected by the magenetic drive in the optibay. My machine will run for about 3 hours on battery.

3. I have never had any problems with the sleep stuff, nor have I changed any system settings to account for it. In Energy Save, when I am under power (not battery) I have the computer set to never sleep, but I do have the "put drives to sleep whenever possible" turned on.

4. As for the "Which SSD Is Right For Me" question... there are so many discussions, opinions, thoughts, comments on this topic, it can make your head swim. My advice, buy the one you can afford comfortably, because, no matter what the benchmarks or pundits say, the performance uplift will shock and amaze you.

3. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your fast answer.

As I tried to say, I'm looking for a SSD that works reliable. I don't care too much about benchmarks and stuff and therefore, SATA3 is not a must at all. But I read information about certain SSD controllers making troubles with the new MBP. So I would have the best deal for an OCZ Vertex II, but I'd like to be reasonably sure that it'll work properly. I could buy the intel as well for a good price....so I just wanna know if one of these will be fine....

I would be interested in installing a WD Scorpio Black 750GB or then the slower but quieter Hitachi 5K750 750GB as optibay drive. would I see a difference in performance when using a 7200 vs a 5400 rpm drive "just" for my data? Will there be a difference in power consumption that is noticable?

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

I have a 2011 with the SSD in the optibay and the stock 500GB 7200RPM in the HDD bay.

I still get about 7hr of battery, and no sleeping issues. I'm planning to replace the 500GB with a 240GB SSD and use a SATA3 120GB for my OS/Apps

5. wct097 macrumors 6502

I bought the Newmodus caddy for my optical bay. I ended up moving my primary boot SSD to the optical bay because I bought a 1tb WD HDD that was too tall for the optical bay, but fit well in the factory location. I have the factory SSD.

I use the 5400rpm 1tb drive since it's only for occasional use. Since it's spun down most of the time, I don't think the power consumption has changed drastically.

6. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

So could I use a WD Scorpio Black 750GB in the optibay then? or would I rather go for a 5400 rpm modell to avoid noise / temperature / power consumption? Will the difference be big performancewise or doesn't it matter as there will be only media files stored on it.....?

7. wct097 macrumors 6502

IMO, you'll get less noise and vibration with the HDD in the factory bay and the SSD in the optical bay.

8. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I thought that the common practice these days was the put the SSD in the hdd bay and the magnetic drive in the odd bay.

9. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

I thought this way round was the right way to do it as well.....

10. y0zza, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

y0zza macrumors regular

I had it the other way around in my Late 2008 MBP - HDD in HDD bay, SSD in ODD bay. The HDD bay has rubber mounts for the drive, which may help absorb vibration slightly. SMS also did not work with the ODD bay. However, waking from disk (hibernation) was broken so I disabled safe sleep and used suspend to RAM only.

In my 2011 15", the ODD bay is connected to the 3 Gbps chipset port whereas the HDD is 6 Gbps. Hence performance may be better with the SSD in the HDD bay. Some users report 6 Gbps max link speed on both bays though (see this thread).

If the ODD bay worked reliably at 6 Gbps, there would be little reason to put an SSD in the HDD bay (except for safe sleep functionality, although that this is broken when booting from the ODD bay has not been verified on the 2011 model AFAIK).

[edited for typo ODD -> HDD]

11. ApplePu, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just reading again about the SATA3 issues of the new MBPs.

My CTO 15" was shipped in Shanghai yesterday, so would you get a SATA3-SSD like Intel 510 or similar and try if it is running stable or would you go the safe way and buy a 320 series SSD which is only running SATA2?

EDIT: As a general question: in everyday use, would I even feel a difference between an intel 510 and an intel 320? would I even
    feel a difference between a Vertex 3 and a 320?

12. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I just installed a Kingston 128GB SSD in the main bay of my 2010 15" MacBook Pro and the stock 500GB in the optibay. Installation went well, minus one stripped screw. :/

I am outside right now with my monitor on full brightness and playing music from the optibay HDD while working with Xcode...says I have ~4:30 minutes of juice left. I have been using the computer for about 45 minutes, too.

13. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, nice to hear that. do you use a 7200 rpm drive in the optibay? What about vibration / noise coming from the optibay drive?

14. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I use the stock 5400 rpm drive. I don't have any vibrations or noise that I can tell. I almost put a 7200 rpm drive in there, but it will only be used for apps I rarely use and data storage.

15. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Ok. I was only repeating what a bunch of other people have said about that config. I had that same config in my old 2008 aluminum with the IDE optical port, so I haven't had personal experience with it for 3 years. I went down the RAID0 road and never looked back.

Yeah, sure. That's not really news, though.

I think you might have meant to say that there'd be no reason to put the SSD in the HDD bay, right? There is a reason right now to put an SSD in the ODD bay: RAID0. Contrary to popular belief it does in fact work with 2 SATA3 drives, one connecting as SATA2.

16. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

Did you experience any trouble installing the C300 to your MBP? After all I've read I'm a bit scared to buy a SSD with SATA3 due to the problems that are still around.......do you think I would feel a difference between a C300 for example and an Intel 320?

17. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I had no problems installing the C300 drives or using them since. Knock on wood they will remain that way.

I have no experience with Intel drives so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

18. y0zza macrumors regular

Ah yes, typo - meant to say 'no reason to put an SSD in the HDD bay'. However, I was referring to SSD + HDD combos, not RAID 0 with two SSDs. SSD + HDD is what the OP was asking about.

Obviously with two SSDs you would put one in either bay.

My point is 6 Gbps would be the only major reason to put the SSD in the HDD bay, if 6 Gbps doesn't work in the ODD bay.

19. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

So I decided to install a 120GB Intel 510 SSD and a 750GB Scorpio Black.

Does anybody have the Scorpio in an optibay configuration? What about power consumption? Is battery endurance still good enough?

20. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

A lot of people, including myself, have had all kinds of problems trying to use the C300 in the new MacBooks. I ended up buying the Vertex 3 which has been fine and moving the C300 to the Optibay. Make sure you buy whatever drive you decide on from someone with a good return policy, such as Amazon for example, and then you can try it out and if it doesn't work, just send it back.

21. alanhoyle macrumors newbie

Trying an Optibay myself in an MBP8,2

I just tried installing an Optibay last night in a MacBookPro8,2 (i.e. 15" early 2011 with Thunderbolt) and am having trouble with it.

Things to bear in mind:

• the HDD SATA port is twice the speed of the SuperDrive SATA, so you should keep your fastest drive in the HDD spot if you can.
    • the SuperDrive slot can only handle a 9.5mm drive, unless you have a 17" MBP, which can apparently handle a 12mm drive.

I have an Apple-blessed SSD (included with system) and I'm trying to install a Seagate 750 GB 7200 in the Optibay. Previously, the HD worked perfectly in a third-party Firewire enclosure. After fiddling, I got the HD installed and reassembled the machine. When I rebooted, I got the following behavior:

1. the computer takes more than twice as long to get to the login screen from the gray apple + whirrly spinner.
      2. Once it DOES get to the login screen, the screen is tinted blue and I can see the login window in the background. I can make the mouse move, but it's unresponsive to clicks and typing.
      3. After a little while (just enough to be frustrating, but not more than a couple of minutes), the blue disappears and I can login. (i disable auto-login)
      4. When I get to my desktop, the HD is not mounted on the desktop. Disk Utility does not detect it either. (I did not try looking in System Profiler.)

I rebooted a couple of times, zapped the PRAM, and observed the same behavior again.

I then undid the surgery and returned the Superdrive to the machine. Everything was back to normal at that point: I could use the superdrive to read DVDs and the HD in the firewire enclosure worked just like before.

Things I might try next time:
      • Reboot in safe mode
      • reboot in verbose mode
      • Check Serial-ATA settings in System Profiler

Anyone else have an hints/suggestions?

22. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

1. What kind of optibay adapter are you using? Is it possible that you've got a faulty one?

23. alanhoyle macrumors newbie

I'm using the MCETech-brand OptiBay. I.e. the folks that seem to have coined the term "OptiBay." I emailed their tech support this morning, but no response has come as of yet.

24. alanhoyle macrumors newbie

I called this afternoon and they think it's a bad board. they're going to cross-ship a replacement to me. Hopefully that one will work better.

25. alanhoyle, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

alanhoyle macrumors newbie

I finally got the replacement OptiBay on Monday. I was able to install it on Wednesday and it works great so far. Technical support and customer service were fine when they answered the phones, but I had a lot of trouble getting in touch with them, and they never responded to emails. I had to talk to someone 3 or 4 times before the shipment actually got sent to me, and in order to do that, I called at least that many times with no answer.

If the first OptiBay had worked, I wouldn't have had any problem.... I did finally hear back today (thursday morning) and they claim have had some email problems and folks on vacation the past few weeks. YMMV....