2011 15" MBP: Optibay/SSD - Final questions before buying

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApplePu, May 8, 2011.

1. ApplePu macrumors regular

Hey guys

I know I'm posting a few questions for the second time, but I need some good answers soon because I'll get my SSD tomorrow and there are still some points that are not really clear to me.

After reading all kind of information on the net, I narrowed down the following drive options for my new 15" MBP 2.2GHz:

SSD: Intel 320 160GB OR Intel 510 120GB
    (Mainly because I'm looking for a reliable product + I can update the firmware with my Mac)

HDD: 750GB WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM

Open questions:

1. Did the recent EFI update resolve the SATA3 issues with the Intel 510? Is it now working as it should? Or is it still the same gambling?

If it is still unstable, I'll definately go for the 320 series......

2. Where do I install the HDD?

When choosing the 510 series, of course the SSD will be sitting in the HDD bay and the Scorpio in the optibay.

But what is the best configuration when installing the Scorpio Black and a SATA2 drive? Will the Scorpio be any noisier / more vibrating in the ODD bay? Are there some Cons/Pros about power management, sleep or idle behaviour?

Thanks for your fast answers, I really appreciate it!

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

I have heard that eh EFI update fixed many SSD issues.

I have my HDD in my optibay and SSD in my HD drive.

I disabled the Access time process on my MacBook, and I disabled the SMS, as the drive has one built in.

3. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your quick answer.

Is your HDD louder in the optibay than in the HD drive bay?

Interesting enough, there is nowhere detailed information about the improvements the update made in terms of ssd compatibility.....

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

No, I really don't hear it.

5. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so can somebody confirm that SATA3 ssds that where troublemakers before the update now are working flawlessly?

Seems a bit strange that updating the EFI is enough to solve all the issues there were with SATA cables and so on....

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

The only issues with the cable was in the 17in.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Get the 510. The WD Black is audible to some people, but I cannot hear mine. It really IMO seems to depend on your hearing.

8. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

So I've got a 120GB 510 Series today....

When I'm experiencing issues with it in SATA3 mode I just move it to the ODD bay and use it under SATA2 conditions. Still better performance ten the 320 Series...

Are there any disadvantages if I install the SSD in ODD bay? I've read reports about hibernation and other problems when using the boot drive in the ODD bay......could you share your experience?

9. TenderBranson macrumors member

can you set your mac to boot to either drive?

10. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I know for a fact the Intel 320 won't sleep properly in the optical bay. I can't imagine the 510 will be any different.

11. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply, I hope the 510 will work flawlessly in SATA3 mode then ;-)

@tenderbranson: yes, you can set it in the system preferences....

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You do not want your primary boot drive in the 'Bay'. I don't think you should have the issues as they were mainly just compatibility issues which were documented when the drive came out, and for the most part, it seems that this does not happen nearly as much now. If there is an issue, call Intel. Since you have a Sata3 drive and computer, you might as well get your moneys worth...

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hard to say. I have a 510 and had no problems even before the EFI update. The EFI update significantly improved boot times though. I barely see the spinning cog at the grey screen now. There was a thread on here about people with 510s and I have not seen a post there for almost a month. There is also a Macbook 510 trouble thread at the Intel support forums and that seems to have drifted off also. At this point I can't say if anybody that was having trouble just already returned their 510 since they were one of the first new SATA III drives and came out the same time as the new MBP.

In the Intel forum post there was a cryptic comment from an Intel official that implied there was nothing wrong with Intel's firmware and this was something Apple needed to fix.

I have seen two posts in the forums from Crucial M4 users who had trouble that went away when they applied the EFI update, so I am inclined to think the EFI update fixed the SATA III problem in general.