2011 15" MBP, OWC SSD & Stock HDD Benchmarks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Impede, May 11, 2011.

1. Impede macrumors newbie

Decided to take out the optical drive and put the stock HDD into that bay using the MaxConnect Optical Bay kit with Optical Drive External Enclosure USB Interface (note: from my understanding that bay only runs at 300mb/s)

Installed a 240GB Mercury EXTREME™ Pro 6G SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm Solid State Drive into the main drive bay.

Even though the external USB enclosure from Maxconnect is a little flimsy feeling... I really wish it were aluminum. It does work exactly as intended and im very happy with the results. The SSD is so much faster, its insane.

Enjoy the Geekbench and Xbench Benchmarks

2. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

What was your geekbench score before the upgrade?

3. Impede thread starter macrumors newbie

Geekbench does tests on processor and RAM, Its been between 10350 and 10600, I should note that it is also running in 32bit mode, since i didn't really want to buy it.

The Xbench "Disk" benchmarks are the only thing that showed a significant improvement going from the the SSD and HDD

4. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Many of our everyday applications still run in 32bit, I feel it's more realistic to run 32bit bench marks. With the high price of ssd's do you feel it was worth it? I'm looking at putting a 256GB into a 2010 MBP it's the 2.53 I've already upgraded the ram to 8GB. And I am looking at putting a ~60GB SSD into my late '06 macbook which I use everyday all day for browsing, light coding, and creating documents. Would you suggest putting SSD's in these machines? Both?

5. Impede thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, The reason i was willing to do it in this machine was because of the higher speed interface. Since I have the stock HDD in the machine too for storage, im not constantly writing and erasing on the SSD. You will notice a speed increase for sure using an SSD but it might not be worth it in the '06 machine. Looking at the Barefeats benchmarks for the OWC 6G drives really helped me make the descision in the new MBPs.

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

I'm debating getting a 120 and making my SATA2 240GB a storage drive.

Anyone know how that world effect battery vs having a sata2 ssd and 500GB 7200RPM HD?

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Make sure your HDD has a built in sudden motion sensor (my stock HDD doesn't). Otherwise, you're playing with fire having it in the optical drive bay. One little drop or heavy bump could bring those platters to a deadly crash.