2011 15" poor battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nick1516, Jun 28, 2011.

1. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I just got my new mbp a few days ago and I've been having really bad battery life. I wasn't expecting to get the full seven hours, but with just one google chrome window open, I am getting under two hours battery life. Am I right in assuming this isn't normal and I should go to apple?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

It's because Chrome forces your computer to use the discrete GPU. You can install gfxcardstatus to force your computer to use the integrated CPU or you can use Safari. Also, install Click2Flash which will basically have the computer ask you before it runs any flash. Flash will sap your battery.

3. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

That's definitely not normal. I would take it into apple. But before you do, have you installed iStat Pro and checked your battery health? Or check your battery condition in the at apple>about this mac>more info>power section.

4. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Download gfxcardstatus and force intel 3000. My guess is that chrome makes the mac switch to the discrete AMD.

5. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

But that's the thing, I already installed gfxcardstatus and am using the integrated GPU, and have flash turned off.

I used coconutBattery, and it told me my battery is at 98% capacity, which is why this is confusing.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life is dependent on many factors, including screen brightness, WiFi, Bluetooth, apps/widgets/processes running, Flash on websites, etc. For more details, read the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

So your gfxcardstatus indicator in the toolbar shows up with an "i" and not a "d"?

If so, then I'd be looking in activity monitor, and all processes (not "my processes". "All processes".) to look for a rogue process that's eating up your CPU and draining the battery.

8. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

It's showing an i; I think I may have found it, in activity monitor it shows silverlight(I think from Netflix streaming) as between 60-70% CPU.

9. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Does it only run silverlight when netflix is running?
    I just had to install that the other day to get netflix working on my new mbp.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

It will most likely be running any time you've got a netflix streaming webpage open in your browser.

11. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Closing that tab put me from having two to having four hours remaining, still not seven hours, but it's a good bit closer :)

12. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I think 7 hours is on the lowest brightness, no bluetooth, etc.

I have 4 hours at 90% battery and I'm 60% brightness.

I think you're fine.

13. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If I'm browsing basic webpages (i.e. no Flash), I easily get 6-7hrs, and that's with the screen on normal brightness. If dim the screen and just play music in iTunes, the timer at the top shows 8-9hrs with a full charge (I never let it go all the way down while just playing music to test it). This is all with bluetooth off and the integrated GPU forced on. Streaming Flash video brings it down to 3 hours or so.

I think the 7 rated hours is quite reasonable, unlike my HP Envy 17. That one claimed almost 4 hours on the extended battery, and I got half that.

14. akasch macrumors regular

I have gotten 8 hrs with integrated set on and only using web browsing and microsoft word. But usually I hover around an average of 6 hours