2011 15in mbp owners come in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetjaguar, Mar 1, 2011.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Have a request for you guys and girls..can you go into a quiet room with your mbp .. and see when just idling if you can hear the fans .. cuz ive been using mine on this forum .. and the fans are at 2000rpm and it is definitely noticable and kind of annoying after awhile .. I cant tell if its the hard drive or the fans .. definitely sounds like the fans though.

Might have to return it and pick up a 2010 refurb if this is normal .. i took a sound file on my iphone but no idea how to get it off of it

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I think you are hearing the drive. If I put my ear on the bottom of the back of the machine I can hear the fans idling at 2000 rpm, but when it's on my lap the faint whirring sound I hear is the hard drive definitely.

Not sure why you think the 2010 model would be any different. The only way to make it quieter is to get an SSD.

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I think its definitely the fans .. the computer is on my desk and im sitting in front of it and i can hear the fans going .. its like having a modded pc with that fan noise from overclocking .. its really quite annoying .. i might take out this 750gb drive and put in a 500gb scorpion blue i have here .. both drives are 5400 rpm .. it the sound goes away then i know it was the drive and i would seriously be shocked.

my 2010 i7 was dead silent .. dunno if i like how this 2011 is doing

4. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Its the drive trust me. The 5400 will make noise too. Get an SSD.

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

hope you are right because it sounds loud like a fan .. i had a 7200pm and an ssd in my last one and didnt hear anything ..

6. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

im pretty sure it's the fan... I have an external drive with a 7200rpm drive in it and 1. its not that loud 2. it has a different noise pattern.