2011 17" MBP power charger question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Mar 26, 2011.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I have an appointment at the local Apple Store later this afternoon, but I had a question for any 2011 MBP owners. How hot is the "brick" part of the charging cable supposed to get while charging the computer? I ask this because I noticed, today, that mine got so hot it would have been extremely uncomfortable to hold for more than a few seconds. I have an external HDD attached to my iMac and was accessing video files and Xcode projects from that HDD on my MBP while in another room. I was also downloading the latest version of Xcode from the developer website, so I decided to put my laptop on the charger, at least until the download completed. When I took my computer off the charger, I touched the brick and shocked at how hot it was. It seemed to be almost as hot as my laptop when I play Empire at War (I once saw it get up to 75C!) I don't think this is normal, so I made the appointment at my local Apple Store. Has anyone else experienced this behavior from their charging brick? I don't want to replace the entire computer - has anyone exchanged just the charging cable? I'll post again once I return from the Apple Store to let everyone know what happened.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Aloha GGJstudios,

I've had MBPs since 2006, but never has any of my adapters gotten nearly as hot as today. That's why I asked the question. Thanks for your reply - I should've MRoogle to find my answer. I keep forgetting about that option. I'm still keeping my appointment, as I feel that it was entirely too hot this morning.

4. EightmanVT macrumors member

Some very questionable information in some of those threads. Yes - they can get warm. Yes - the new one can get even warmer - which you would expect - but the external case shouldn't be so hot that you can't pick it up. Mine gets warm - but never that warm. If it did, I would be very concerned. If it burns you - something is wrong.

5. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I went to the Apple Store and got a new one, but this one is also getting pretty hot as well. I'll keep an eye on it, but the original one passed all of the hardware tests they threw at it. The Genius even said that it wasn't really that hot to him. Maybe I need to get more in tune with my "manly" side and get some gnarly calluses on my hands or something :D None of my earlier magsafe adapters got nearly this hot, but like I said, I'll keep an eye on it and make another decision on this later, if warranted.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Under normal load, mine is warm and not uncomfortable but at full throttle it does get too hot to hold for more than a few seconds.