2011 17" MBP Replacement Unit means they treat my machine differently??!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac Skeleton, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Mac Skeleton, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

Mac Skeleton macrumors newbie

So I had a 15" MBP that had 4-5 Major hardware repairs and they finally deemed it as defective/lemon and gave me some credit for a new replacement laptop. I opted for a custom 2011 17" MBP and paid a hefty difference out of pocket.

Now that I have received it, I have a few problems. The new laptop is amazing BUT not without problems. The display does NOT turn on when I wake from sleep (keyboard, volume, everything works, but display won't come on), the screen pulls a PC and freezes for a couple seconds on certain windows, applications quit unexpectedly, and most of all, the 17" is much much larger than I expected it to be. Ergonomically it is not as friendly or fitting as the 15" even though I am fairly tall. Like the keyboard's location is too far out for comfortable ergonomics.

So it has been about 25 days since I received it and about 10 days since I actually opened it. and I wanted to see if I could exchange it for a 15" from apple, but they won't even consider it because its technically a replacement unit????? Apple Care on the phone said if it was NOT a replacement, it would be no problem and they could easily take care of it. How is that fair and how could that possibly be the policy? That from now on my laptop will be treated differently. And I can't find any literature on legal terms on replacement units etc. I'm really frustrated.

I paid a pretty large out of pocket difference to get it and I don't understand why it is not treated the same as me buying a brand new laptop. It is not my fault that the last product was defective and nonetheless, I still paid apple for my replacement. Why should I get inferior treatment??

Does anyone know if replacement units are treated differently by policy or anything?!?! I hate the problems I have right out of box with this 2011 MBP and I also don't like the size. Any suggestions?! Thanks in advance.

Thanks a ton.

MS :confused:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Who knows but Apple. You still paid for part of it so I don't see how that would be a problem. You'll have to call them and ask.

4. Mac Skeleton thread starter macrumors newbie

I did and the Apple Care Rep on the phone literally said, because my new 17" MBP is linked to a replacement order, they do not treat it the same.

Now I don't see in any way how that is at all fair, especially having paid full price for upgrading. For some reason, that doesn't sound believable that just because of a replacement order, they won't exchange, return, refund, or offer the same benefits as a new mac even after paying!

Was wondering if anyone actually knew or had any insight on how to handle the situation. I just find it ridiculous. Im a procare member, a long time apple customer, and own a MBP 13", a MBA, and this new 17" MBP currently and have never had a problem like this until now.

5. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i think something happens when you warranty something.

you got a replacement mac, therefore it is a different serial number and a totally different machine.

if there is an applestore close to you, you could always explain your situation to them. if not, there really isnt much you could do i guess, unless you complain to the Apple managers higher up.

good luck