2011 17" MBP to Sony XBR4 black border

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by menomano, Apr 26, 2011.

1. menomano macrumors member

I am having trouble getting the MBP display its extended desktop on my XBR4 full screen. What happens is that the desktop is displayed but there is a black border that remains around the picture.
    This is where it gets confusing. The same MBP does extended display in OSX edge-to-edge just fine, like it's expected. Same tv setting , same cable.
    My dell laptop does it perfectly fine too in windows with the same HDMI cable but with DVI-HDMI. Same settings on tv, same input.

I am using the OWC MDP-HDMI adapter.
    The MBP in win 7 says it's a sony tv and it's at 1920x1080. So it all seems okay yet something is very wrong.

Somehow the MBP is sending its signal differently under win7 in bootcamp than in OSX.

Not sure what to do.

thanks

2. menomano thread starter macrumors member

Solved!

Crappy apple bootcamp drivers.

I downloaded a driver set from the AMD website. You can go there and select a mac and bootcamp then win 7 64.
    I installed this catalyst set. It didnt quite work I think because there was an error message at the beginning plus the powerplay settings are non functional.
    BUT there is a display setting for scaling the image. This was a couple percent higher than zero which I pulled back and it made the image fill the screen and improve the quality.

I guess this scaling is set to something non zero by default and not exposed in the apple provided bootcamp 3.2 drivers.

arrrrgh