2011 17" outperforming 2015 15"; pro audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ambientdaw, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ambientdaw macrumors member

ambientdaw

My 2015MBP is acting like a dud compared to my 2011. Is this possible? Is it Sierra? or?

Just received a brand new packed-to-the-hilt 2015 15".

I am running realtime audio using Ableton Live, NI Komplete Kontrol, and Omnisphere with only one track each! Not even recording yet, only playing the synths. Playing at 64 samples using RME Babyface and the sound is breaking up.

At 128 it works much better but not perfect. I am hoping to record all this to the internal SSD!

On my 17” 2011 MBP 2.2 running Yosemite with 8gb ram the sound NEVER broke up at 64 samples. Also on my late 2015 iMac this all works like a charm. But since my laptop's fan comes on and whines and whirrs I need to replace it. I went with the gorgeous 2015 as Apple is not offering a good choice for me with the 2016.

I’ve tried everything. Lean, mean and fresh and updated. And dialed it in OCD-stylee to be suitable for stage-ready dependability, all systems focused.

I'm surprised and confused. I did notice Live 9 acting somewhat buggily while testing but has been otherwise very stable on my iMac and 2011MBP.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

What happened to your other thread on this? Hope you get it figured out.

3. ambientdaw thread starter macrumors member

ambientdaw

It was a burried comment in another thread, not my own. I don't think anyone will see that.

4. linguist macrumors member

are you connecting RME directly to macbook's USB port ? or through a hub

5. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

is it possible the software you're using is not optimized/approved for Sierra? I only ask because your other system is running Yosemite and I know some DAW's out there are really finicky with OS version.

6. ambientdaw thread starter macrumors member

ambientdaw

Directly.
    Last night with Kontakt multiprocessor set to 8 cores, it ran perfectly!! For about 15 minutes. I was very happy with my test and took a break and when I came back to my still-opened Live set and played, it was breaking up again!!

I came back a few minutes later and closed the set and reopened it and it played fine again. So something is wrong with Live it seems.