2011 21.5" imac SSD Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by peeaanuut, Jan 10, 2012.

1. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I have seen upgrades for the 27" but nothing for the 21.5". I am interested in taking out the Superdrive and adding an SSD while still keeping the original 500GB drive. Is there someone that makes a kit or is there a how to on how to jerry rig something? I searched but am always bad at finding results.

Thanks in advance!

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

why not go for a hybrid and keep superdrive . get best of both worlds. seagate do some mac compatibles.

3. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

hmmm. Didnt even know they did hybrid drives. How do they work?

4. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

not sure as was thinking of putting one in my comp as seemed abetter bet than trying to mess with superdrive etc as it all in one and fit in same space, providing get same size as disc already got. suppose they'd work same as if you put 2 diff drives in use one for syst (ssd) etc other for storage.

5. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

i think it makes sense. Ill have to look into it. I just upped my ram to 24GB so looking for a little bit more speed in the HDD department.

6. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

try www. seagate .com get info from their site etc. i suggested seagate as my comp came with one installed and thought if apple used seagate then best to replace with same but up it to 1tb.also got a 5yr cover when registered it with seagate.hope you find what suit you best.

7. tnewson macrumors member

I replaced my superdrive with an SSD, i even used one of those cheap nasty Caddys from ebay, costing me around £18. Works a treat but only at Sata 2 speeds, so if your going to do it then there is no point shelling out the extra for a sata 3 SSD.

Got my normal HHD as a media drive and all my programs and OSX on the SSD, boots up in around 20 seconds. Wouldnt wanna use a computer without one now.

Go for it mate.

8. brachson macrumors member

ok but how dod you do that?

9. tnewson macrumors member

You just, take the glass off, then remove the screen, making sure that you dont break the cables connecting the motherboard to the LCD. then remove the superdrive, replace with the superdrive SSD caddy and put it back together. Theres plenty of guides on the forum to dismantling the iMac.

10. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

im also realy interested in this but r we talking about mid 2011 21.5 base model?

11. tnewson macrumors member

Yep, mine is the base model. And its fast as balls now.

12. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

So u took out the superdrive and replaced it with the ssd eh?
    So inside the mac its still the hdd ?

And u use now an external superdrive i supose?

Can you point me to a guide and also wich ssd model u bought?
    Thanks in advance matte :eek:

13. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

i think it all depends on what you want and cost if add up cost of ssd + caddy + external dvd/superdrive + sata cable connector, then the job of removal of superdrive etc. to cost of hybryd -just remove hdd replace with hybrid.keep old hdd as spare incase get probs in future. or if got ext hdd caddy. use it for time machine.main tools needed are tx screwdriver set and two suction cups to remove glass

14. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

i have seen the caddy on e-bay. The title says iMac 1311,1312 but then in the description it says macbook. So not sure which to believe.

15. richb330 macrumors newbie

I did this myself on a base 2011 imac 21.5". i have a 128GB SSd as the primary drive and i replaced the stock 500Gb with a 2TB barracuda. The SSD is installed behind the superdrive and both drives are connected. It's been in for nearly a year now and I haven't had any problems.

I documented the install, check it out and good luck!

http://www.osxstuff.co.uk/?page_id=45

thx.