2011 21.5 imac too hot?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by passatgt, Jun 16, 2011.

1. passatgt macrumors newbie

Hi!

I got my new imac a couple of weeks ago, and i just checking the iStat dashboard widget, and i see that the celsius and rpm is a little too high maybe.

[​IMG]

My friend 27 imac is more powerful than this, and everything is cooler like 10-15 degrees, and the RPM is around 1000.

What do you think? Should i worry, or this is normal?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Perfectly normal. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Your CPU is at 51oC which is perfectly normal. Your fan speeds are perfectly normal.

Don't get bogged down in temperatures. I have iStat telling me the CPU temperature only, and I rarely pay attention to it.

Macs will turn themselves off if they get too hot, and many go to 100oC before they shut down. Of course, I would be concerned if it was running that hot constantly, but if I'm converting a video or something my MacBook sits in the 75-80oC range.

4. passatgt thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

Ambient temperature 35 Celsius? Is that correct?

6. passatgt thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked it again, now its 33