2011 21.5in i7 Refurb iMac or wait for 2012 version?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pog2005, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Pog2005 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been following the discussions on the possible iMac refresh and am considering my options.

My PC is on its last legs and I'd like to get my first Mac, primarily to use Aperture to sort my photo library (nothing major, just shots of the family and holidays), as well as basic movie editing in iMovie. I'd also want to use Parallels to run a few programmes like Microsoft Money until I've found Mac alternatives I like. Nothing too taxing.

Size wise, I can only fit a 21.5in iMac on my desk - I'd be sitting too lose to a 27in version I think. I've been looking and I can get a refurbished 21.5in 2011 iMac with a Sandy Bridge i7 processor for around the same price as a brand new model with an i5 processor.

If the new iMacs don't appear this week, I'm not sure whether I should wait or just go ahead and purchase a Mac now. Other than an upgraded Ivy Bridge processor and USB 3, what else might the new models have that would be of benefit to me?

Would I be better off getting an i7 Sandy Bridge processor on a refurbished iMac, rather than the 'standard option' Ivy Bridge processor on a 2012 iMac?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

2. richest macrumors regular

Give it another few weeks.

We should know then if new models will appear this year.

At least I hope.

I am in the same position as you, and am currently living on my iPad new.

Great, but not the same as a nice big screen pc or mac.

3. Eddyala macrumors newbie

I live in the greatest city in the world-N.Y.C.
    Why a refurbished imac? Get a new iMac instead.

I say go get a new iMac and you won't ever look back. Plus, in a week or so, MT Lion will be out and then you can really see the power of a Mac. Hey, go for it. What the hell, you only live once, right?

4. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I'm getting the 21.5" refurb iMac. I can live without the processor bump and USB 3.0. I'm running a 2007 Macbook Pro that is aging. The hard drive is almost full (Already upgraded the HDD once). I want a new machine. I can get the $1249 model iMac refurb (possibly lower than that if the new ones come out) and use the extra to upgrade my RAM, buy Apple Care, and buy a hard drive for time machine. I've bought refurbs many times from Apple, ipods, apple TV, etc. So I am comfortable with getting an iMac from them as a refurb.

5. n0cus macrumors 6502

I would wait to see if July 25 brings anything new. If it does you get a price drop. If it doesn't buy the refurb.

6. Pog2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, time will tell - if there isn't anything by the end of the month then I'll buy an i7 refurb.

If there is something in the next few days, then we'll see what they offer before coming to a conclusion!

Thanks