2011 27" 3.1ghz & Aperture 3 Hanging Issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by urbandecAE, Jul 12, 2011.

1. urbandecAE macrumors newbie

urbandecAE

I do edit 25-30MP RAW images in aperture, but at times i'll experience a really bad beach ball that will last for a while. A few times i've even had to hard reboot because nothing but my cursor was responding. I understand that I only have 4GB of RAM but I don't see why 4GB wouldn't be enough. No other applications are on other than safari sometimes. Is it the RAM? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ascNYC macrumors member

Might well be RAM

My RAW images are only about 15MB however I have zero delay or beach-balling even when editing a large number of files or using any of my Efex plug-ins. I have a 2011 2.8GHz i7 21.5" but upgraded the RAM to 12GB. I do NOT have a SSD and store my Aperture library on my internal 2GB HDD. RAM is a cheap upgrade (esp from non-Apple vendors) so it might be worth bumping up to 12GB (or even 16GB) considering the relatively low cost.

Did you use Migration Assistant when you set up your new iMac? I came from a 17" 1.83GHz Core Duo with 1GB of RAM and was constantly (and painfully) waiting when editing with Aperture. I did NOT use MA as I had read that it could also migrate problems from the previous machine. Not sure if there's truth to that but I set up as new and my new i7 machine flies (as it should). I did go back after setting up my new machine and erase the HDD from my Core Duo, reinstalled everything from scratch (set up as a new machine) and it performed significantly faster. Short story long - my old machine had some serious gremlins in it prior to wiping and starting new.

-andrew

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

4. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I have monitored memory while running Aperture and it is a memory hog. With it and a web browser running, the memory used jumps to almost 7GB. This is editing Canon 2Ti RAW and JPG. I think bumping the memory up would be a wise move to make things run faster. I have also disabled the scan for "faces" that Aperture wants to do every time you import new photos. Since I mostly shoot landscape/flowers/animals, it was a serious waste of CPU. (Preferences->General->Enable Faces (uncheck).

5. urbandecAE thread starter macrumors newbie

urbandecAE

No I actually just switched from PC to MAC so i'm not sure if this is a common issue with macs and aperture? All my images are on the mac's aperture library, and i just use time machine to back up to a HDD.

@rkaufmann87 I'll try the first aide tools and post an update thank you.

@gwerhart0800 The price is really low i'll upgrade pretty soon, maybe 12gb for now.

6. ascNYC macrumors member

Aperture Repair Tools

I think rkaufmann87 had an excellent suggestion in trying the repair tools (I didn't know they even existed). I'd try that first to see if you notice any difference. If you don't see any positive change perhaps consider initially bumping up the RAM 8GB more for a total of 12GB. It can be done for about $80 and you should see improvements in not just Aperture. I went through Crucial for my RAM but I see that there are many suppliers that people here recommend.

Keep us posted on your progress.

-a

7. toxic macrumors 68000

4 GB isn't enough, plain and simple. 8 GB should fix most of your problems. I'm using 10 at this point.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

You may need to repair something like a corrupt file which can really screw things up. But, aside from that you really should up your RAM. I have 8Gb and with Photoshop open I can easily use most of my RAM.

What you need to do is look at your Activity monitor to see the number of 'Page Outs' That number will tell you if you are using your hard drive as scratch. If that number if in the GB range then you will benefit from more RAM.

Below is a screen shot of my Activity Monitor but I didn't have Aperture open. As you can see I have used up over 4gb of ram and but have few page outs

Attached Files: