2011 27" i5 3.1 iMac very slow wireless

Discussion in 'iMac' started by outtoplay, May 6, 2011.

1. outtoplay macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

een enjoying the enthusiasm for the new arrivals the past few days, and mine arrived this evening (what a way to start the weekend, huh?)

The iMac hit my wireless immediately (asked for my network password (using WPA2 Personal), but it is crazy slow...

Sitting next to my new iMac is my year old Minimac with the same settings, and it roars on my wireless, no problems at all. This is clearly weird, so if anyone has a thought, I'd appreciate the input.

Wired works fine, but I bought this thing so I could go live (and work), down at the beach this summer, and that will be a wireless situation.

best,
    Brendan G.

2. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

disconnect your old mini from the router and leave the new imac connected only, the mac mini is eating the juice from your router im guessing.

3. outtoplay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response... But that seems odd, is that behavior mac specific? To not be able to have 2 wireless computers operating at the same time?

Will give it a go to narrow the possibilities though just in case.

B.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

What brand and model router? I heard the new iMacs use atheros wifi cards. On our PC systems we immediately replace the atheros with intel 6200/6300 wifi cards ( not something easily one or supported on our iMac).

Under windows the atheros cards seem to have very high latency when connected to certain brand routers. I have no idea if OS x as this issue.

Cheers,