2011 27" iMac crashing after wake and HDD thrashing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AlexMason86, Apr 8, 2012.

1. AlexMason86 macrumors newbie

Hi all

Recently my iMac (2011 model, 3.6Ghz Core i5 Dual Core, 1TB, 8GB ram, OSX Lion), has been crashing from waking up from sleep with increasing frequency.

I am not sure what is causing this, however I did notice on the last crash that the line "BSD process name corresponding to current thread: coreaudiod". So I assume that caused the problem? I will keep an eye out for when it happens again to see if its the same problem.

Its quite annoying because I utilise sleep quite a lot!

In addition, the HDD really does thrash about upon restarting (and at random times when loading programs)... No idea what its doing (getting all its effects in order for its passing? I hope not!) but it just constant goes with that horrible crunching noise HDD's make when they're being thrashed.

It makes the machine unusable pretty much for a while and even when its done, it doesn't feel as snappy as it should.

When I originally got the Mac, I migrated from a Snow Leopard running MBP (iMac also on SL) and then upgraded when Lion arrived. The machine also has some HDD sectioned for Bootcamp W7. Though this was the first thing I did with my Mac thinking that the two partitions will be relatively clean and straight.

At the moment I am thinking, just wipe the whole lot with a good thorough format, reinstall and just restore my files and reinstall programs from scratch. (I have some programs which I cannot uninstall as I do not have privileges... these are carry overs from my old MBP)

2. wessew macrumors member

If you can, take the machine into an Apple store with appointment. Also, immediately make a bootable backup if you have not done so on a separate hard drive. The thrashing sounds you indicate the hard drive is making leaves me thinking of the possiblity of imminent hard drive failure. After you have made a bootable backup you can also try Disk Utility: repair; Diskwarrior: rebuild directory/repair directory damage; and Drive Genius: check condition of hard drives. Every time your machine crashes, there is the potential of directory damage being done because it was not shut down properly. There is potential of equipment failure in terms of the hard drive if you do not move on this right away...