2011 27" iMac GPU Substitute?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Stranga, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Stranga macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

my gpu just crapped itself in my imac and I really dont want to hand my Imac over to apple for service knowing what kind of stuff they do it with it.

Also I cant get past the apple logo and progress bar on start up its on a loop
    this is what I got in Verbose Mode ( See PIC Imac_Verbose.jpg )
    Anyone knows what it could be?
    I would like to know what GPU out the would fit straight in without changing anything etc.
    AMD 6970M 2GB is what i am running now.

Or do i need to buy the same GPU?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. zawark8 macrumors member

3. Stranga thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am. I just had the whole iMac apart and back together.
    What do you suggest. I don't want to run Windows so I will be running OSX

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Try booting into safe mode (shift key down during boot). The video driver is not loaded and hardware acceleration not activated. I could do that on my 2009, when my 4850 became faulty.

I got myself a new secondhand 5750 and switched it my self.

5. Stranga thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh I tried safe mode recovery mode. The only mode I can get in is verbose mode others don't work.

6. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

7. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

So what does I really dont want to hand my Imac over to apple for service knowing what kind of stuff they do it with it" mean ?

I have always found Apple's service second-to-none. Saying that, out-of-warranty support can be expensive, so if you can do this yourself, then fair play to you. Just your initial statement does seem to insunuate that Apple are in some way shady, which compared to most companies, they are not....

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You can buy a replacement Radeon card on eBay. Or try Apple, as they had a replacement program out for the graphic cards in those iMacs a year ago. They may have pity on you.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

What makes you think it's the GPU - I see nothing in that boot sequence that would suggest a GPU failure. In fact, it quite clearly states that it's having trouble enumerating a USB device. That could be a number of things:

- A USB device causing the failure
    - A bad USB port/internal hub (logic board)
    - Bluetooth board
    - Camera
    - Card reader

The only way to diagnose which would be component isolation. That said, it's port 1 of a hub (an internal hub) - on the 2011 iMac. I'm not too sure which way the internal USB devices are wired, but I'd try pulling them one by one to see if you get an improvement.

10. bnumerick macrumors newbie

I have the same iMac and for what its worth that card is covered under a "Video Card Replacement Program" and Apple should replace it for free for you. Mine died about 6 months ago and I had it replaced. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203787