2011 27" iMac Hard drive upgrade to SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by weezin, Sep 14, 2014.

1. weezin, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

weezin macrumors member

Trying to get a few of my questions answered in one place. I've found conflicting information and want to get it right!

My HD is failing in my 2011 27" iMac and I want to replace it with an SSD (most likely THIS one).

1. I need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, yes? I assume THIS will work?

2. Do I need a special cable or can I use what is already in the iMac? I see that the ifixit and OWC upgrade kits come with cables: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACHDD11/

3. I used DiskMaker X to create a bootable Mavericks thumb drive. Once the OS is installed on the new drive, I want to SELECTIVELY decide what programs, files etc. to restore from my Time Machine backup. I can do this, correct?

Thanks, and sorry for the NEWB questions! :)

EDIT: OWC has TWO different kits listed on their website for the 2011 27" iMac...and they come with different cables...which one do I need? This: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIM27SSD11/ or this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACHDD11/

2. Kyle-K, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

This is most likely because all iMac models have differences between them on what can be done and what cannot. So make sure you're talking about the right model.

That's a nice choice, see below.

As you have stated you want to replace the drive that is currently in there you will need this one. See the next section for why.

But let's talk about your iMac model first and the other cable in this computer you can put a total of three drives 1x 3.5 and 2x 2.5 if you were to replace the optical drive.

This cable is for most likely in your case the unused SATA port that is present on the logic board in 2011 models. So if you were to purchase both cables you could replace your failing 3.5 hard drive with another and add the SSD as well.

You could also choose to do a DIY Fusion Drive, Not recommended with that SSD that you have you'd wanna smaller capacity SSD good if you want to save some money. Post if you want to know more and I've added some information below from another post.

It's not exactly a cable you will still use the one that's originally in your iMac what OWC is selling is an external temperature sensor If you remove the original drive in this model iMac and replace it with another the fans in the system will run at full speed.

The external temperature sensor above will solve the issue for you and is what I would recommend you can also do it in software if you wish but I much prefer the external sensor myself.

Yes you will if you're planning on replacing the 3.5 drive.

Not too sure about that one myself I only have experience with 2.5" to 3.5" adapters that are aplastic frame that go around the outside and this one I have experience with two.

Yes, There's several ways you could use the Apple Migration Assistant or if you're like me and know a lot about OS X you could migrate all the files yourself manually.

3. mhafeez, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

mhafeez macrumors regular

mhafeez

2011 27" iMac Hard drive upgrade to SSD

Hi, from my experience (sorry for my bad english)

1. I did not use any adapters, the previous HDD bracket will do just fine

2. You do not need that cable (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACHDD11/) as it will not work on any SSD. Trust me on this one because I have bought it from my previous HDD upgrades.

3. Backup your main HDD to your Time Machine. Once you installed the SSD, reboot using your Mac OS X Installation DVD and choose Restore (make sure your Time Machine is connected). Or you can clone the drives using Carbon Copy Cloner before the reassembly.

Additional notes from me;

1. If you use your SATA0 connection cable (from previous HDD) to your new SSD, your HDD fan will be screaming to 5000rpm. To solve this, use HDD Fan control.

2. You can use this iMac 27" SSD Data/Power Cable (2011) if you want to install a second SSD through SATA1 connection.

Good luck!

4. weezin thread starter macrumors member

What happened to your response? I didn't get a chance to read it before you deleted it!

Thanks, that helps a ton. I think I'll get the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter so that I can put in another ssd at some point if I want to, not sure. Seems like you can do it without it, but it might be easier with it.

5. mhafeez macrumors regular

mhafeez

SSD Bracket

Perhaps this might help. You can find this a lot on eBay

6. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

I have re-added it back just wanted to check a few things were accurate with this model.