2011 27" iMac, left half of screen is dim

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Obioban, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Obioban macrumors regular

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

For the link you found, the chassis isn't exactly the same as your model. Look for your exact model on iFixit.com if you want do do-it-yourself. In all likelihood you need to buy & install a new LED.

3. Obioban thread starter macrumors regular

I understand the chassis isn't the same, but does that mean the LCD isn't the same? Both made by LG, both 27", both the same resolution. If getting my hands dirty and soldering might permanently fix it, I'd rather do that first. Worst case scenario is I botch the job and have to buy a screen-- which is the situation now anyway. No lose option.

That said: What I'm looking for is a DIY solution that ISN'T buying a new screen. That's what I'll do if necessary, but... if it can be avoided, I'd like to.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It depends how it's fitted. You should also get a quote from Apple first. Sometimes depot service is cheaper if there are no signs of abuse, which is generally only an issue with notebooks.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You don't need a new LCD (screen), you need a new LED (light). How it installs will be different for you model; the part itself is also probably different.

6. Obioban thread starter macrumors regular

So is there a similar known fix for the 2011s?

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I thought your link was showing an early 2009 iMac. But it's not, it's the late 2009. In that case, the chassis is exactly the same - the same design was used from late 2009 through mid 2011. So you can try exactly what it showed.

8. Obioban thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, that's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!