2011 27" imac - will it suffer the same screen issues ? ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Andylar, May 3, 2011.

1. Andylar macrumors regular

i had a late 2010 imac and and had the streaky/black marks on the screen, apple replaced it with a brand new imac and this too has had the issues

Do you think that they may have fixed the screen issues with this one ?

2. animefanotaku macrumors newbie

I don't see any issues with mine yet. So hopefully it won't be an issue. Someone had mentioned it was a different part for the 2011 and 2010?

3. Andylar thread starter macrumors regular

thanks id love to know for definite as if the screen is not properly sealed again im gonna go for a mac pro and cinema display

4. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

what difference does it make for u anyway? its not like they will give u a 2011 imac for your 2010 iMac, it was a known issue with the 2010 imacs.

The changed the design i guess with the 2011 imac

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Then thats what you should do.

6. rnb2 macrumors regular

That would be a much easier decision if the economic and performance comparison wasn't so heavily in the iMac's favor. The i7 2011 iMac should outrun a 4-core Mac Pro, and will probably give a 6-core a run for its money on most tasks, while costing less (much less in the case of the 6-core), and coming with a 'free' 27" Cinema Display.

I was actually pretty tempted to go with an i7 MacBook pro and Cinema Display, but the economics there aren't great vs. the iMac either. Just wish the iMac didn't have these screen issues - my 2009 i7 has cloudy grey blotches all over the screen.

7. Andylar thread starter macrumors regular

The customer relations guy iwas dealing with told me to hold off until today to have a lookmat the new iMacs as they could send me one as a replacement at no extra charge

8. Andylar thread starter macrumors regular

Is anyone able to shed any light on this ?

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I've heard of some dead pixels, that all for now.

10. Andylar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

The problem ive had doesnt surface for a couple of months

11. yakkowarner epi macrumors member

So as an up coming iMac buyer, should I get the extend warranty plan because of these monitor issues? It's funny, I haven't had these problems with my external monitor.

12. Dyne macrumors member

Hi guys!

I just got home with my brand new 27' model with the 6970m graphics card, and I can already tell there is yellow tinting on the screen. It isn't enough for me to care, since I will never notice it unless there is a white background, but it's definitely there.

Looks like this is still a prevalent issue, but in Apple's defense, I've seen screens that were MUCH worse than this one. :)

13. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

27' eh? man how did ya get that one home? a flatbed trailer?

congrats on the new imac though. these new machines look stunning

14. Andylar thread starter macrumors regular

It seems to happen from dust,smoke etc being sucked in when the fans ramp up when your using the CPU heavily, I've been very unlucky and had 3 screen replacements and a brand new iMac which now needs replacing since october

If the issue is gonna arise I'm sure that it'd happen before your one year warranty is up anyway

15. ev1 macrumors newbie

Just last week returned 2 iMac 27". First one had faint yellow band at bottom of screen fading about a third up the screen.

Second one opened in store much lighter and smaller yellow band running top to bottom on the right of the screen. Decided to take it as it wouldn't really bug me there. Realised that night when the desktop background was black, there was an arc of light coming from bottom right corner making black a light navy blue fading back to black about 20cm across and up (view from my sitting position).

Took that one back, and they agreed there was a problem, but they (iStore, Sandton, Johannesburg) refused to open any more and rather agreed to refund me. Both those iMacs came with SL10.6.7, so I guess they would be from March - May 2011.