2011 27" iMac with SSD & HDD. I want to replace the HDD.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by N0ddie, Aug 7, 2016.

1. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

Currently have a November 2011 built 27" iMac. When bought I specified the 256Gb SSD + 1TB HDD option. Lately my HDD has started to make some funky noises so I'm looking to replace it with a 1TB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) as they have come down it price considerably.

I have watched numerous videos on how to replace the HDD on these iMacs and its something that I'm going to do myself however I have yet to see one with both the Apple SSD & HDD fitted and am unsure as to whether or not it will be the same process.

Does anyone know where the Apple SSD is usually installed on these iMacs?

I have ordered the suction cups in order to remove the screen so if nobody knows for sure I'll open it up myself (When they arrive) before I splurge £250 on an SSD I may not be able to fit.

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

3. N0ddie thread starter macrumors 6502

N0ddie

Why cant I just remove the HDD and install and SDD in a 2.5 to 3.5" bracket?

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

You can if you already have the tools.

5. N0ddie thread starter macrumors 6502

N0ddie

So according to MacSales/OWC Apple positioned their SSDs in the 2011 27" iMac under the optical drive.

2.5" to 3.5" AdaptaDrive, 2 suction cups and the heat sensor/adapter thingy came today. SSD should be here on Thursday so the plan is to swap the drives on Friday.

6. N0ddie thread starter macrumors 6502

N0ddie

So done the swap this morning (2 days later than expected due to Amazon couriers damaging the 1st SSD) and am impressed. Read and write speeds up from 50MB/s to 500MB/s.

Install was straightforward enough with the help of tutorial vids. The hardest bit was the ribbon type cable getting reattached.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats, and I agree, some of those cables can be a bit tricky, but I'm sure now with an SSD, your iMac must feel brand new.