2011 27in iMac: Ghosting/image retention

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KylePowers, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KylePowers, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Howdy,

I have a 2011 27in iMac. It has ghosting/image retention issues in the top right. I can tell because its identical to my background/desktop image.

I don't really notice when I don't have a window in that particular area (since all I see is the background image), but when the computer is restarting and the screen is all gray, or if I have a window open in a solid color (white, for example) or if a video is full-screened, it becomes noticeable.

It seems like it's permanent, because even if I restart the iMac or leave it off for long periods at a time, the issue still persists. Perhaps there's a more accurate term than ghosting/image retention for this, so forgive me.

Not a gigantic deal, but just wanted to see the opinions of my fellow MR'ers. Should I try to get it fixed (no Applecare)? Should I sell it off (imaginably the issue would lower its value) and purchase a 2013 when they arise? I initially planned on keeping it for a couple more years and upgrading it with an SSD soon.

My step-father's brother-in-law (step uncle-in-law?) works at an Apple store, so he may be able to help me (though he isn't local to me).

Cheers

2. KylePowers, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013

KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Anyone with similar issues? Any suggestions?

Didn't think this kind of thing occurred on IPS displays :(

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It does. I haven't seen it on many IPS displays in recent years outside of the imac line. It was a frequent problem with some of the older (pre-2010) models. I should note I haven't personally seen it on the 2011s as of yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.