Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Backstory: A couple weeks ago my air stopped charging. It wasn't even recognizing the charger. I replaced the charger, and all was good. Fast forward a couple weeks (today), and my mac is not charging again. This time, however, its recognizing the charger (it has the plugged in icon and says "Power Source: Power Adapter") and my mac will remain on (because its getting power through the ac adapter) but its stuck at 1%. I've reset the PRAM and SMC. I'm assuming this is probably a battery problem at this point. Already made a genius bar appointment, but while I wait I might as well listen to some suggestions, if anyone has any?

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I'd doubt it's a loose connection. The battery plug and the magsafe board plug are pretty secure. I wouldn't be surprised if your magsafe board is beginning to fail. It's not common, but I've seen it a few times.

I'd also make sure to clean your magsafe adapter and plug of any debris, that can cause charging problems. If you're up to it, you can attempt to clean the metal connectors on the port and plug with 90% alcohol. Obviously if you do this, make sure the system is shut down, and the magsafe board is unplugged.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I had a similar issue on my wife's 2010 MBA and it was a dirty plug like the previous poster said--had some cat hair caught in it. I removed it, blew it out with some canned air, and all was fine for the next year that she owned it. (She's on a 2012 model now) Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.