2011 Base iMac temps

Discussion in 'iMac' started by D4F, Dec 11, 2011.

1. D4F Guest

D4F

Hi.
    Can you guys post your temperature values from smcFanControl if you use it?

In general everything stays under 60 Celsius for me apart from Power Supply 2.
    It easly gets to 75 Celsius just while converting one movie in handbrake.

That's a lot of heat if you ask me.

Cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, that's quite normal. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Not for a computer that is really thin AND has the lcd backlight on top of the mobo and processors. Towers are way cooler. I would think 50º-60º would be high end i7 general idle. Mac Pro's stay around 30ºC-40ºC. They have much more room for heat dispersion.

4. Spike88, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

For my iMac, I set SMC fan speeds to:
    ODD 1180
    HDD 1390
    CPU 1200

Also removed its underbelly memory cover as well. Thus, allowing more airflow into the bottom of the iMac box. This larger under side opening creates more airflow out the top vent. re: Creates more "upwards airflow wicking" effect.

For my iMac thin box (that do run hotter than an open box design), I do normal home user tasks. And, these custom fan settings (which is only 200 RPMs more than recommended factory) do keep my iMac's insides much cooler. Between 5C to 10C lower. And we all know that lower temps (even in automobiles) make the item last much longer...

Depending how you use your iMac (re: more Graphic tasks or more HDD tasks, etc.), your iMac fan speeds would be different. Set RPM speeds differently, check temps at end of the day, then make more RPM adjustments. Thus, creating "most optimal" fan RPM speeds for your iMac's usage and ambient temps.

5. D4F thread starter Guest

D4F