2011 base model 13 macbook pro and thunderbolt display.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThisIsMe, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

Thats the setup that I'm planing on going with. Would the macbook pro be able to handle 1080p video editing using final cut 10? Or should I go with a 27" iMac? Looking forward to your thoughts and I really need one quick because I just sold my 2011 21.5 iMac.

2. MacaDroid macrumors member

3. ThisIsMe thread starter macrumors regular

Not to much just want something portable just incase.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I would get the dual core i7 for the extra power, add some RAM an SSD would go a long way, but there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

5. ThisIsMe thread starter macrumors regular

if i wanna get the display that I would have to stick with the base model.

6. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Where you planning on getting it? Macmall has new early 2011 i7 13 MBP for under $1200.

7. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Refurb is a great way to go, especially if your on a tight budget. You will appreciate the extra power of the i7 eventually. IMO I would rather spend a little extra to get the i7 and have the piece of mind knowing I have the power to get the job done, and save up the difference to get the display.

8. SEGeologist macrumors member

If your not concerned over the portability of the unit, then the iMac or Mac Pro would be where to look.

However the 15" model provides good mix of features and offers a slightly larger screen.

I have the 17" i7 and see no problem carrying the device around when needed. Granted when I am off site, the major device I use is the iPad. But I am not editing video on this platform (iPad).

For dependable transfer of data and smooth transitions, the SSD upgrade would be the first post delivery option to do. Then maxing out the RAM as well.

9. lamboman macrumors 6502

I would suggest a refurb or good price 15" (high res if possible) along with a non-Apple display, like an HP or Dell. Will cost a hair more yet you won't really lose anything (aside from the practicalities of Thunderbolt).