Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I've posted 1 or 2 times before about my battery. I saw its health fall from low 90's to mid to high 80's quite quickly.

It was sitting at 85-89% health for quite some time.

In the past week it has taken a fall down to 82-83% health. When i remove the charger from 100% capacity it falls within minutes down to the mid 90's capacity.

Where i previously used to get around 6-8 hours charge with 11 hours registering when i unplugged from 100% i now am lucky to get half that.

Today i noticed it had fallen to 77% health and it's still only at 121 cycles.

As it has fallen below the 80% health under 1000 cycles would applecare replace the battery? Luckily i took a snapshot report under coconut battery to record these readings.

When i take it to the apple store, i dont want to open it and find it's back to 84% and they say there is nothing wrong with it, even if i show them my 77% reading report and they ask me to pay for what i feel is a defective battery.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It was sitting at 85-89% health for quite some time.

In the past week it has taken a fall down to 82-83% health. When i remove the charger from 100% capacity it falls within minutes down to the mid 90's capacity.
It's your charge, not your capacity, that drops within minutes of unplugging. That's normal, depending on the power demands at any point in time.
Where i previously used to get around 6-8 hours charge with 11 hours registering when i unplugged from 100% i now am lucky to get half that.
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
Today i noticed it had fallen to 77% health and it's still only at 121 cycles.

As it has fallen below the 80% health under 1000 cycles would applecare replace the battery? Luckily i took a snapshot report under coconut battery to record these readings.

When i take it to the apple store, i dont want to open it and find it's back to 84% and they say there is nothing wrong with it, even if i show them my 77% reading report and they ask me to pay for what i feel is a defective battery.
It won't hurt to ask them, but generally they don't replace it unless it's below 80% when you take it to them. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Thanks guys

I've read the FAQ too - my machine is out of warranty by a month or 2, not sure if this affects anything

I did mean charge too; it has gone back up to 82 health so it looks like I will have to wait until its consistently below 80. Assuming they would still replace outside of a 1 year warranty.

At the rate it's falling it might be only half health by next year, but worse case is £99 for a replacement

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've read the FAQ too - my machine is out of warranty by a month or 2, not sure if this affects anything

I did mean charge too; it has gone back up to 82 health so it looks like I will have to wait until its consistently below 80. Assuming they would still replace outside of a 1 year warranty.
While you might find someone to make an exception to the rule, Apple is not obligated to replace your battery if the warranty is expired. Batteries are, after all, consumable items that will wear out under normal use and need to be replaced at the user's expense.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
The battery has dropped again to 76 and is now showing the status as

"Service Battery" with an exclamation mark by it. Something definitely up with my battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.