2011 dGPU Failure Confirmation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xb2003, Sep 22, 2016.

1. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I'm in a bit of a time crunch, and Apple's serial number checker isn't working. I have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro that I think has had a dGPU failure. It is not mine, but an institution's and I have never used it before today. It is not booting properly, after a password is typed in it gets stuck loading. Because of this, I am not positive of the specs, but I can post the serial if that would help. It has an i7, 8 8GB memory (I assume upgraded), original HDD.

As I said, it is getting past the login screen. And the login screen has a very jagged appearance, with horizontal lines that drift slightly from the top left to the bottom right. I was told that in the passed week, the fans had been on non stop, and before this, the users had never heard the fans.

The machine is basically used for Pro Presenter.

Can someone confirm that this is the dGPU issue and that I need to proceed with Apple?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like dGPU to me.

Since its not your computer, I'm not sure if you should be talking to Apple, but the institution. They may very well just swap it out for you. The turn around time I believe for a refurb logic board is like 2 weeks.

3. Brammy macrumors 65816

I'm not sure.

When the dGPU on mine died, it wouldn't even get to the login screen. It stopped halfway through the post.

4. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

Thank you.

5. Brammy macrumors 65816

It was about 5 days for me.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The last time I talked with Apple they quoted a 2 week turnaround. Not that I needed this specific repair, so your YMMV

Either way, I don't think you can just bring it to a genius and wait while they do the work, which was the point I was trying to convey :)

7. Brammy macrumors 65816

No. It has to go to the repair depot.

It also needs to fail some specific tests they run, so it's best to bring the Apple Store and have them do the tests.

8. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

I was figuring I wouldn't be able to get it fixed while I wait. I just got off the phone with Apple. Their corporate support was far from their usual standard today... But I finally got connected with my local store.

You said they might just swap it out for you.. is that something you have had happen? Is there any way I could persuade them, like with a sob story about how we NEED this computer and it was really disappoing that a known issue is going to cost me 2 weeks?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry, my words were rather obtuse. I meant the institution that lent you the laptop.

I was pointing out that you probably go through your company's IT department and they should swap it out for you.

10. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

Oh I understand. It's just a machine used for Pro Presenter.. unfortunately it's the only computer we actually own.