2011 Early Macbook Pro Logic Board Slower?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a1rjumpman23, Feb 27, 2015.

1. a1rjumpman23 macrumors member

Hey guys I just received my macbook pro back from an apple repair. They replaced my logic board with another one but now its either extremely slow or not responsive at all. Is this normal? I upgraded all my softwares to Yosemite and still get the constant freezing. I can't even open a program without running into the spinning rainbow ball of torture. Has anyone ran into this problem?

2. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Not normal, but SMC reset has been known to fix some issues relating to slow systems. Might need two or three resets to actually get results.

They should have done an SMC reset when they installed the FRU, but they are only human, after all, and nobody is perfect.

http://support.apple.com/HT201295

3. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Did they change anything else?

Do you have a HDD or SSD? Drives don't last forever, so perhaps your one is failing or perhaps the SATA cable got damaged during the logic board swap.

Perhaps try the SMC reset first, then you could run a HDD / SSD benchmark and compare with results for similar drives.

4. a1rjumpman23 thread starter macrumors member

I tried resetting it three times, but still everything is slower than it was before. Opening multiple programs still brings up the spinning rainbow and my music sounds fade in and out

5. Starry macrumors member

Starry

I have the same issues... Logic board replaced twice, RAM replaced, and new display. Apple told me that it's due to software... I feel your pain :(

6. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Could be another crappy logic board too, or something else (software-related included.)

I'd contact them again and tell them what's going on. Better to have the troubleshooting documented by them as you go rather than having to possibly redo it all just for them.

In the meantime, I would run a full diagnostics through AHT overnight or weekend.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18765