2011 Excel for Mac on MBA in Maverick

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bgent, Mar 6, 2014.

1. bgent macrumors newbie

Since getting a MBA with Mavericks, my Office 2011, specifically Excel has been very unreliable. I use this for work and I have tow monitors. Whenever I try to switch between an excel page on one screen and another on the other screen, I get the pinwheel of death and it can sometimes be there for up to 5 mins. It is really hurting my ability to do my job on my Mac. I know they are coming out with and Office 2014 for Mac but I need something that works now and I really don't want to have to switch back to Windows. Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions on how I might fix it? Thanks in advance!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

No issues here doing the same. Do you have all Apple & Microsoft updates installed?

If so, test in Safe Mode - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564 - if the issue is better in Safe Mode then some login item or kernel extension may be causing problems.

3. Reno Richter macrumors member

There is another thread here (which I can't find at the moment) that states
    From your Hard Drive root navigate: >Library>Application Support>Microsoft>MERP2.0 folder
    Launch the Microsoft Error Reporting.app. Select preferences and disable error reporting and you should be good to go.

I am on MBP running 10.8.5 while traveling on business, and my nMP showed up the day I left. I will migrate my old MP to the nMP on the 16th which is using Office 2011 and have noted this fix in my notes of things to do after migration to the nMP and 10.9.2.

This fix might be on the apple forums and not here, but the reference said it came from Microsoft Tech support. Turning off error reporting is not a big deal as far as I am concerned and should not harm your system in anyway.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I had issue with Office for Mac on my 13" rMBP and have left it off since a clean install. If you have all the updates applied I guess all you can do is wait. Sometimes removing it ( not your worksheets, just Office) and re-installing can clear things up too.