2011 Graphics card problem -Best version of OS X to run?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anogenic, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Anogenic macrumors newbie

Hi!

So I'm experiencing the dreaded graphics card failure on my late 2011 Macbook Pro I7 2.4ghz. Had a near fateful crash today but have managed to reboot in Safe Mode.

I brought the Macbook 2nd hand in August and didn't really notice any problems until upgrading to Yosemite a week ago. I'm traveling to Asia in 5days so I don't see much chance in getting the card fixed or replaced before then.

My idea is to do an OS X Internet Recovery which should restore Lion on my system (right?). My question: Is there a version of OS X which has proven less prone to lead to failure of my graphics card? As I didn't notice problems on Mavericks maybe that's the best bet, or should I stick with Mountain Lion or Lion?

Thanks for any help & suggestions!

2. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Replace the thermal paste clean the fans and install Linux.

That should last a bit longer.

3. Anogenic thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't feel confident in opening up the computer myself.

Does anyone believe that an earlier OS X will help?

4. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I would venture to guess that 10.6 or 10.7 would put less strain on your gpu.

Or at least that's the consensus I've noticed here on the forums.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Failing hardware is failing hardware, no matter the software. It won't make an ounce of a difference.

6. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Yeah. Apple really ****ed that generation up.

7. Anogenic thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I didn't notice any problems until upgrading to Yosemite?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

That is coincidental at best. That's like saying "my car ran great until I let my dog in it, now the engine's blown".

Not trying to sound condescending but no amount of playing with software will fix a hardware problem, and vice versa.

9. Bob360 macrumors newbie

On my 17" 2011 MBP, I installed gfxcardstatus and avoid anything that might run under discrete graphics. The app freezes if I try to force integrated under Mavericks.

I use my rMBP for day-to-day, so having my old MBP sit there as a secondary notebook works.

10. Anogenic thread starter macrumors newbie

Got your point, but my main concern is that it lasts the time I'm away in Asia -5 months, after which I'm less fussed with getting the GPU fixed/replaced or even buying a new laptop. So would reverting OS X possibly help with how long my mac will keep running?

By installing Linux and using it whenever I don't absolutely need Mac would I really lengthen my MBP's life?

11. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

I have to disagree with you partly.
    YES if the hardware is bad than no software will fix it.
    but if the hardware is good ,than it will work with what ever was programed to.
    if the new software request more power (memory, processor and,,,) and the hardware can't supply it, you going to have problems like color or slow loading and who knows what.