2011 i7 iMac crash/freeze - what log to get

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ZMacintosh, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I'm curious what log should I post to figure out what might have caused my iMac 2011 27" to crash/freeze up...to see if anyone can pinpoint what might have caused it?

At that time I was using iTunes for playing back music and I just connected my iPhone to it as a Remote (using the remote app). No Kernel Panic notice or anything on the screen, my music started skipping and the screen saver was on and nothing was responding. the caps lock key on the keyboard wasnt even displaying green or light so I manually shut down the iMac with the power button and did a restart.

Also open were iChat, Safari with a few tabs (4 or 5), FireFox with about 7 tabs, Mail and Steam (but no game was playing).

iMac specs:
    27" 3.4Ghz i7
    256GB SSD
    2TB HDD
    AMD 6970M 2GB
    16GB Memory (Corsair modules) -- passed all the ram tests I ran.
    10.6.7 (i reinstalled the OS after a mix up when using Migration Assistant) not sure if that could attribute to the crash/freeze, doubt it.

much appreciated.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

If there is no kernel panic and just a freeze - the logs are probably not going to show up anything interesting.

I hate migration assistant and would never use it but unless it migrated some incompatible kexts or something like that, it should not cause freezes.

Did the computer work fine after the RAM upgrade, if so how long? I think this is RAM related - you might want to go back to stock RAM and see if the issue persists. If it does I would say take it to nearest Apple store.

HTH

3. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

i did a reinstall off the dvds included with the iMac and did not do migration assistant and just manually copied files and folders over individually.

the only thing i didnt do was create a new itunes library or iphoto library and just dragged and dropped the iphoto library icon into the pictures folder and the itunes folder into the music folder of the new imac and went from there. i dont presume that would have any affect?

the new ram was installed after i restored the system from the screwy MA transfer and passed all the tests, i had tested the ram in 2011 mbp and had it in there for two weeks and ran perfectly fine.

i didnt see anything in the logs or bad drive when running disk utility either.

might have been a fluke or could have been caused by the fw800 2tb drive i had hooked up?

everything else seems smooth though.

4. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

None of that should cause a freeze. If this was a one time occurrence and it isn't happening all the time then you can ignore it as a fluke. However if it even happens once a day - I would definitely suspect the RAM as it can go bad during install or even after (unseats etc.) OR worst case it might be something else flaky in the hardware side.

So if it does happen again - try reseating the RAM, if that doesn't help try going to stock RAM. If it still doesn't help - take it to the Apple store.