2011 i7 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MGSDOM, Aug 2, 2011.

1. MGSDOM macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 27" 3.4 17 iMac.

I just got home from work and turned on my iMac to find a progress bar along side the regular apple logo during the start up.

I thought this was strange because it seemed almost like it was waking from sleep. (although it was completely shut down the night before.)

After about 5 minutes it loaded but i suddenly realised it was being incredibly slow and if i tried to change between spaces (or desktops as apple calls them now) i would get a lot of slow down and screen tearing.

I quickly loaded up activity monitor to find that 10GB of ram was being used.

Its probably also worth noting that it had not loaded any of the windows from my last session.

I have since restarted the machine and the ram has returned to normal but it is still very slow all of a sudden.

Any ideas as to why this might be would be great!

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Hmm...did you perform an update or something that may have changed the settings? You might try the good old PRAM reset...seems odd that everything's super slow suddenly. Fresh install of the OS might be on the way!!

3. MGSDOM thread starter macrumors newbie

No updates as far a i can remember.

I have since shut of my machine again and it seems to be slowly speeding up to how it used to be.

Thanks for your advice! I will keep an eye on it!

4. bigcreek macrumors member

Sounds like a visit to the apple store may be of help

5. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Sounds really odd. What OS are you using? If anything restart your iMac and see if that solves the issue. If not, call up Apple and hope for the best.

Good Luck.