2011 i7 MBP running slow after Time Machine migration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnzombie, Mar 23, 2011.

1. johnzombie macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Basically I've got a question on how I can make my MBP run at a normal speed.

I had a 2010 13" MBP but upgraded to a 15" 2.2GHz with HR screen because I started Uni and I thought it would be beneficial for running CAD.

When I first started my new MBP, I chose the option to restore from my Time Machine backup, which I believe has caused my new MBP to run as slow as my old one had started to.

Is there any way I can get the new machine to run at its fullest potential without doing an OS reinstall?

Thanks.

2. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Check activity monitor to see if the finder is hogging system resources indexing your drive. I think a lot of people here will say that migration is the cause and it may well be the case. I think the solution many will give is to reinstall osx and do fresh install of all or programs.

3. movieboy23 macrumors regular

To echo what YsoSerious said, it's highly likely that the system files for the 13" don't have the right hardware drivers for your new quad-core i7. Reinstall the OS using the discs that came with your i7 and then you can transfer over user settings, documents and applications.

4. johnzombie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I'm backing up my files to do a reinstall now.

Based one what movieboy23 said about the drivers from the 13" not being able to run the quad core i7 properly, it might be worth noting that MenuMeters in OSX thinks I have an 8 core CPU and so does the task manager in Windows 7. Might that be related to the supposed driver issue? I don't see how it would be considering Windows 7 recognizes 8 cores as well but what do you guys think anyway?

5. movieboy23 macrumors regular

The new core series chips from Intel (at least the i5s and i7s) support Hyper-Threading that creates 2 virtual cores for every physical core. So in your case 2 virtual cores x 4 physical cores = 8 core CPU.

6. johnzombie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh I totally forgot about Hyper-Threading. Thanks again!

7. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Hmmm...Mine says the same thing (using istat pro) listing 8 cores, but correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Quad Core" supposed to list 8 cores?

8. johnzombie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, like movieboy23 said, hyperthreading causes the OS to assign 2 virtual cores per physical core. It completely slipped my mind, so yes you are correct!

9. marc.garcia macrumors regular

Hi there,

I came across your post because, basically, I fear the same is happening to me

Oh God, I don't want to imagine having to start from scratch and reinstall all the Apps. Did you manage to solve your problem at all?
    Aaaarrrggggh, really? :(
    Are you serious? Migration Assistant can migrate a complete Windows environment but is unable to properly migrate within the same platform?

To make matters worst, I migrated my MacBook Air 2011 to a MacBook Pro late 2011 and the performance is poor... very poor :(

johnzombie, please, do shed some light on this!! :)

10. spitfir3 macrumors newbie

That's weird, I was thinking about this today also!

I've got the same issue, late 2011 15" MBP from a 2007 Macbook. Scrolling is choppy and apps like iPhoto run so badly.

11. marc.garcia macrumors regular