2011 iMac 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chadsticles, Sep 12, 2011.

1. chadsticles macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

First of all my name is Chad, first time poster here so see how we go.

I have been reading these forums for a fair while now, I thought I would give you a bit of background/feedback of where I am coming from.

I am from Australia; I work at the mine fly in and out of home 10 days on 4 days off, the desk space you get is quite limited but it should fit the iMac quite comfortable (from what I can remember), I was originally looking into purchasing a Macbook Pro 2011 17" for the portability reasons, but I have done a few flights to and from camp and don't see myself pulling out the laptop often if at all when at the Airport.

TV they give you is an absolute disgrace of technology a non-hd 22" widescreen, I wouldn't even bother watching TV on this... Horrible :( lol.

I have a full setup at home 50" plasma, surround sound, media centre with 20.5TB of space, laptop for general use, 16g iPhone and 64g iPad, space isn't a major issue I also have a few 1tb External HDD's for extra space and portability of TV shows/movies to and from the site.

On flights when I have my laptop with me I find it too bulky to pull out so I just use the iPad to watch shows whilst on travel and or do general web surfing.

I am now looking into purchasing a iMac 2011 with the following Specs:

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
    2TB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (International English) and User Guide (English)
    AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac- Auto-enroll

The only issues I am having is:

1) failure rate of dead pixels?
    2) smokey glass screen/LED display?
    3) Yellow/grey Screen

What are the chances of this happening?

Now I completely understand that any forum is always going to be full of issues not many people are going to write on how awesome there iMacs/Macbooks Pro's etc are but they are going to write on how they have an issue with X reason (That's why we have forums right?)

I guess once I get the iMac I will never look back but I just seem to be having issues forking out the money considering I am always on the mine for 10 days and come back for 4 days it just seems hard for me to comprehend that if it breaks I have to wait for XX ammount of days.

The reasons why I chose Apple, I love the style, quality, how clear the screens are honestly I don't come across many screens if any that are clearer than the Apple products.

I am a ameture photographer (Hey everyone says that these days right?) I have a canon 50D, 70 - 200mm F2.8 Lens and 24 - 70mm F2.8 Lens with a few filters) I love taking photo's, I can upload some photo's if you like, Photoshop is a crucial thing for myself, and organization of the photo's - processing power ;)

I am sorry for the long essay but thought I would give you my background and ask the simple questions.

Thanks,
    Chad.

2. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

China called. They want their wall back.

In response to your three issues though, I'm the owner of the exact same Mac you're considering for purchase, (minus the 16GB of RAM, which I strongly suggest you purchase extra RAM 3rd party because Apple will over-charge you) and I have not experienced any dead pixels, smokey screen, or Yellow/Grey color problems in the ~4 months I've owned this fine machine.

I don't know what the chance is you'll be having any of these problems though, that would probably require a bit of research.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have the same model you describe. I chose to use Apple's RAM so there would never be gingering pointing at third party vendors if I needed to use the warranty because of a fault. So far my machine works flawlessly, and I have. rebooted only for software updates. I do not regret the purchase, although I would have considered the new mac-mini + thunderbolt display if they had been available when I purchased my iMac.

4. chadsticles thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize it was big, sorry but definitely made me laugh :eek:

Money isn't a major issue as to why I went with Apple RAM I do not want them to pin point out 3rd party RAM that could be causing the issue.

I guess I just want the reassurance that it won't happen to me as, as soon as I receive it I will be turning it on, doing a few updates and then shipping it up 1600km's to where my camp is, the closest Apple from me when I am at camp is 1600km's away, I couldn't afford to it breaking etc.

Thanks,
    Chad.

5. chadsticles thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, Just called up my local Apple Store they have the exact setup I need for the 27" iMac except the 1G GFX card.

Is there a major difference between the 1G and 2G other than the space on the GFX itself.

Thanks,
    Chad.

6. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I'd say just go for it.

Take a look at this thread, most notably posts #6 & #7 6970m 1gb or 2gb?

7. chadsticles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SR20DETDOG, much appreciated.

So the over all consumption is it's not really worth it, I won't be doing "Extensive" work but I thought I would get it as it's a $140 upgrade for myself, I guess in the long run I can always sell it and buy a new one!

If anyone else has more "Insight" info I am more than happy to have a chat :)

Thanks,
    Chad.

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

The only thing I'm gonna comment is your RAM option. Like others said, upgrade RAM yourself. 16GB RAM from Apple is a big rip-off, like $600?? :eek:

Money might not be an issue to you, but if you can spend so many, it's best to spend it right. For $100-ish you can upgrade RAM yourself, save another $500 for another fun if you can burn it :p

It's your money though .. but I'm just saying here. RAM is the only component on iMac which allowed to be upgraded by end-user, so why not just use that privilege?

9. chadsticles thread starter macrumors newbie

I just realize how "easy" it is to replace the RAM that is definitely an "easy money saver" you are right the ram is $720 (AUD); definitely worth upgrading it down the track!

Thanks for making me realize this :D appreciate it.

I should be heading into the apple store tomorrow to pick up an iMac, I seriously cannot wait I have researched for the past 3+ months; I probably won't sleep tonight :).

Thanks,
    Chad.

10. chadsticles thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just bought myself the 27" iMac 3.4GHZ i7, man this machine is amazing.. It came with Snow Leopard but upgraded it straight to Lion.

The screen quality is amazing even though I still have the screen protective coat on it, I still have to move it 1200km to the final destination.

I haven't done much on it other than fiddle with some of the setting, I have found the whole experience very easy so far, there are a few little bits and pieces that get me confused as the close button is on the left hand side instead of the right hand side (In windows).

The "System Performance" feels to be the same as Windows 7 everything just seems to be where it should be if that makes sense.

Now to go and read further on to see what programs I have to install.Apple Expert told me a local place where I can buy my RAM appreciate, appreciate the guys that had told me that I am able to upgrade the RAM j
    I will keep everyone up to date on how it's all going so far so good :D:D

Thanks,
    Chad.

11. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

Hi man , wish u fun with your new mac;)
    I just got my 21.5 i5 yesterday also and im really happy with it :D