2011 iMac 21.5" with 2 LCDs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yustas, Feb 16, 2012.

1. yustas macrumors regular

Hi,

I have the 2011 iMac 21.5", which has one thunderbold port (not two like on the 27" iMac) and I would like to connect two monitors to it. I already have one DELL monitor connected to it. It works great. How do I connect the second monitor? I do not want to use Matrox. Is the USB to DVI my only option? Important: I need all three monitors to be independent from each other - i.e., to display different things.

Thanks.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I think something like this is what you are looking for. (I can't tell if you get two different screens though)

3. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

That would great, but the two monitors will show the same thing. I know because I asked them about it.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

From what I can tell, there doesn't exist such an option yet to daisy chain thunderbolt->DVI connectors. (see this topic)

Your other option is Apple's Thunderbolt display.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Unfortunately, you would need to use at least one Thunderbolt Display, plus either a second Thunderbolt Display or a DisplayPort display (of any manufacture) connected to a Thunderbolt device other than an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4885 and http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4744. (The second one discusses the idiosyncrasies of using a Thunderbolt Display plus a DisplayPort display.)

It is not possible to natively run two DisplayPort, DVI, or VGA displays directly off the iMac. The only way to run two external displays is via Thunderbolt, a Matrox box, or a USB video card.