2011 iMac 27" driving external (Air) superdrive - insufficient power?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by omvs, Jun 3, 2011.

1. omvs macrumors 6502

For a while I had been debating how to make use of my Vertex 2 SSD from my old PC. So last night I finally took apart the iMac and put the SSD in place of the optical drive. While a bit intimidating, the process went fine.

Then I picked up the Macbook Air Superdrive, and the drive would show up on the USB bus, but not inject disks. Same thing happened on my 2009 Macbook pro, so I thought it was a bad drive. But testing on my boss's air (and my work mini) showed the drive works fine.

So it seems like the USB ports aren't putting out enough power to run the drive...? I like the drive a lot (small), and wondering if a powered USB hub might do the trick.

Anybody run into the problem or have suggestions?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

At least in the past, the MBA SuperDrive only worked with MBAs and certain Minis. You could try different USB ports but it sounds like that is the problem.

You can buy an enclosure for the SuperDrive you took out of your iMac.

3. omvs thread starter macrumors 6502

Doh - I finally found the posts in the peripheral forums talking about this. Thats definitely disappointing, but I guess thats what I get for ignoring the fine print. :)

Thx