Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecstacy2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
There is enough place to put the two ssd's where the standard HDD was?
And for splitting the data and power cables, there is no need to highten the logicboard or something else?

Is it simly the same afford as If I would use one Vertex instead of the hdd?

Yes you can put dual ssd's where the HD is, Also they might have something like an icydock for dual ssd's which will fit exactly in the spot help with cooling etc and make it really nice to sit there. there is no need for anything to be done to the logic board you will have to remove it and run the sata cables down the heatsink bar and make sure it sits flat.

not sure what you mean here but it is different then just using one vertex as you double speed, secondly if you mean is it the same as just replacing it then No it's alot more complicated then that since you have to remove the logic board and get more sata cables that have a 90 degree angle etc..

KRBNYC

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
Splitter?

Hi - great work on this system!
Am I understanding you correctly that both drives are connected to ONE sata port? Or do you mean for the power? Could you explain what splitter you used?

Thank you!

ecstacy2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I was meaning you need 1 sata power cord and 1 data cord then two open ports on the logic board. I used a 90 degree angle splitter. for power (thus using the 1 port cord and port for both drives) which also over rides the temp sensor so no issues with fan going to high or uncontrolled then use another for data to the port on the logic board for data sending and the other drive uses the sata cord from the HD drive that was once in it's place.

ecstacy2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
yes im aware hence why i didnt use a triple system But it is still possible to do so just not with the 3rd bay having sata III

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.