2011 iMac and FCx

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tylersanchez2491, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Tylersanchez2491 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm a film student and have been using the first generation MBP unibody to edit with final cut. I've decided to upgrade this year, and am thinking of getting the low end 2011 iMac and a Macbook air. I wanted a powerful enough machine to run the upcoming FCX which is what I'd use the iMac for, and take the 2011 MBA to class and use it as a mobile computer for things like PAges and iTunes, but no other intensive programs. My question is do you think the low end iMac is good enough for film editing? I decided on this option because I wanted to try something new other than a Macbook Pro. Thanks!

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

The short answer is: no problem.

The longer answers are Final Cut Pro X hasn't been released yet, so we don't know the recommended tech specs AND you haven't told us exactly what you'll be doing. But I'm assuming as a student you're not working with a RED nor 3D modeling or 3D graphics nor videos of longer than half and hour. So the entry level one will be just fine and you probably wouldn't notice any difference in editing even if you had a faster machine.