2011 iMac fix=New 2012 model? (AppleCare)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tofray, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Tofray macrumors regular

I have a 27" mid-2011 maxed out iMac that has 2 weird "scorched" areas of my display. They are fairly faint with colored backgrounds but very noticable on light background. They literally look like brown burn marks, like you see on the ends of a burnt electrical cord, and are both about 4" long by 1" wide.

Anyways, it still has a year left under applecare so I'm taking it in next week. I was wondering what the chances are of them giving me a 2012 model vs. repairing it. Does this sound reasonable or are 2011's still new enough that they'll likely fix it.

Also, if they don't give me a new one, do they ever entertain offers to upgrade for a discounted price, by keeping my 2011?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

If they have the screens available, I think they would fix it. If they arent able to fix it, they probably would replace it with a refurbished 2011 of the same specs. IF they are out of stock of those, then MAYBE you might get a refurbished 2012 model if they have one.

Dont think they will to a "trade-in" and let you upgrade to any new model for a fee.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Unless there's something very wrong with your system or it has been in for a lot of repairs, they're just going to repair it. The store will probably have to order a screen in so expect it to take a few days for them to repair it once you drop it off.

4. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Had a iMac that had what looked like brown streaks in the screen under the glass. Kind of looked like it was dirty glass. Took it to the apple store an they kept it to fix it but decided to replace it. I got a brand new one in a box that was the next generation of the lower specs for that generation but a little better than the one I had. After about 6 months it did the same thing.

5. Tofray thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your responses!

Jvette, did they ever tell you what the brown streaks were from? What you're describing is exactly what mine looks like. Also, did they give you any option to pay the difference between the lower spec price to upgrade to like-model?

Thanks

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Kinda confusing post. You had what year iMac with brown streaks under the screen then replaced with what year iMac and which specs?

After 6 months the replacement had the same dirty screen problem?