2011 iMac freeze/crash -- again.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ZMacintosh, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ZMacintosh, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Again my iMac randomly crashed while I was using it.

Specs:

27" 2011

3.4Ghz i7

256GB SSD + 2TB (Hitachi) BTO

2GB 6970M

16GB of Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145281

Apple Keyboard/Mouse.

OSX 10.6.7 that came with the iMac.

these random freezes started the day after i got my iMac a week and a half ago. it was fine for the last week as i was running a constant movie loop on it 24 hrs a day for a week straight and im wondering if its a certain application that is freaking out the iMac?

It seems to happen when I have Steam launched in the background. not playing a game or anything but just there with my friends/buddylist there.

I had the following apps open:

FireFox with about 8 tabs

Safari one window with two tabs and the other 4 tabs

iTunes (latest) playing music

Mail

iChat

Steam (latest)

uTorrent (seeding data)

What specifically happens im not sure but it freezes up the entire machine, NO kernal panic, the capslock key light doesnt register (Wireless or Wired keyboard), mouse completely frozen, itunes music skips and have to do hard shut down.

its getting really damn annoying that this new machine is distributing these errors and I refuse tobring it into an Apple retail store or authorized provider as this is a replacement from a previous machine that was damaged at one of these locations.

Soany advice on what logs to pull or how to diagnose it. i dont thinks its the memory as i tried it in a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz i7 2011 and it has been fine with that.
    couldnt replicate it much, its a very rare and random occurence but it has me wondering if its a conflicting software glitch or other hardware issue.

any adivce would be great.

===

edit,
    this is the last log before the crash @ about 3:49PM MST and I restarted at about 3:50-3:51pm MST

7/3/11 3:46:12 PM [0x0-0x1d51d5].com.valvesoftware.steam[2397] surface_osx.mm (2755) : Assertion Failed: !"Current texture not set"

7/3/11 3:46:12 PM [0x0-0x1d51d5].com.valvesoftware.steam[2397] Assert( Assertion Failed: !"Current texture not set" ):/Users/rackadmin/buildslave/steam_rel_client_osx/build/src/vgui2/src/surface_ osx.mm:2755

7/3/11 3:46:12 PM [0x0-0x1d51d5].com.valvesoftware.steam[2397] SteamID: 76561198030128033, universe Public

7/3/11 3:46:13 PM [0x0-0x1d51d5].com.valvesoftware.steam[2397] surface_osx.mm (2755) : Assertion Failed: !"Current texture not set"

7/3/11 3:50:54 PM com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***

7/3/11 3:50:59 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.xprotectupdater[75]) Exited with exit code: 255

7/3/11 3:51:00 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[154] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self

7/3/11 3:51:01 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[154] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[214]) Exited with exit code: 1

should also note a 4pass of REMBER and an extended looped Apple Hardware test passed. I even ran the MaxCPU script to test out all the hardware and didnt even flinch.

SO im wondering its perhaps Steam itself?

2. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Ive been running 16 iTunes Standard Def videos in QTX, a 1080p Blu-ray Encode in VLC, Standard Def video in Itunes, streaming standard def tv shows via home sharing to a MBP 2011, a few flash videos in FireFox and Safari for the last 45 minutes or so since the crash and havent had any slow downs.

So im wondering if its not a hardware issue and something with steam as I have yet to launch it yet.

but so far so no crashing, so im wondering if this rules out any possible RAM issue andmight be pinpointed to a Steam issue?

3. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

This seems to be something happening to quite a few people lately, My own MacBook 4.1 is suffering random freezes, as too are a few friends. My own crashes have stopped or at least reduced to a very infrequent event (from hardly ever having crashed before in 3 years) since I uninstalled iavd which was a complete git for hogging the processor, I'd put the freezing down to over heating but that doesn't now seem to be the case.

It would be interesting to hear if others are suffering similar problems, mine relates to the screen freezing for no reason, processor isn't anywhere near maxed out neither is the temperature anything close to frying an egg. Yet when it does freeze the sound is still audible in the background, even the clock stops.

Closing the lid to put it to sleep initially does nothing, the backlight won't turn off and the sleep light doesn't beat. Leave it for 15 minutes and the light starts to beat and the apple logo goes out. Open the lid and it comes back to life but only after about 15 seconds.

I've not done to much to investigate the problem, This machine is a few months away from being retired but if theres a straight forward fix then I'm interested.

4. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

I had a few hard app crashes and I/O stalls with an SSD+HDD equipped 2011 iMac (identically equipped). In the end, it was the SSD that gave up the ghost. It's been returned to Apple Engineering as a CAPTURE and I'm waiting for a replacement computer to be shipped out.

Do a Verify Disk on your SSD and see if you have any hints of filesystem corruption (i.e. "keys out of order").

5. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

havent had any sort of that pop up with the SSD during a Verify disk in disk utility via The DVD Disc or on the actual Install itself.

6. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The lines "7/3/11 3:46:12 PM [0x0-0x1d51d5].com.valvesoftware.steam[2397] surface_osx.mm (2755) : Assertion Failed: !"Current texture not set"

7/3/11 3:46:12 PM [0x0-0x1d51d5].com.valvesoftware.steam[2397] Assert( Assertion Failed: !"Current texture not set" ):/Users/rackadmin/buildslave/steam_rel_client_osx/build/src/vgui2/src/surface_ osx.mm:2755

7/3/11 3:46:12 PM [0x0-0x1d51d5].com.valvesoftware.steam[2397] SteamID: 76561198030128033, universe Public

7/3/11 3:46:13 PM [0x0-0x1d51d5].com.valvesoftware.steam[2397] surface_osx.mm (2755) : Assertion Failed: !"Current texture not set"

in the log indicate that it might the Steam that caused all the troubles. Third-party kernel extensions tend to cause troubles because of compatibility issues.

7. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

MacNN or even AppleInsider might be more helpful for rare problems like yours.

8. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

i Reinstalled steam per the directions of removing all the games and the app.

So we will see how it goes.

overall the iMac is a great machine, I just hope its nothing more than a possible fluke with the first install of Steam.

As I dont reckon it'd be the memory if it passed multiple overnight extended looped tests, REMBER tests and played 16+ Standard Def movies in QTX and iTunes at the same time, plus multiple browsers+tabs.

9. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

after consulting with AASP im pretty sure the issue stems form Apple's SSD or the CPU (i7 2600).
    Which in that event if it is an SSD issue they said it is a known issue within Apple products of gltichy and freezing/crashing SSDs.

So perhaps Apple needs to release a firmware to resolve the SSD crash/freeze issue that locks up the machine.

10. Database macrumors member

This sounds a lot like the issues I was having with mine and it ended up being the 16 GB of RAM. Apparently these iMacs are very specific on what ram works in the 4x 4GB configuration.

Try removing 2 of the sticks, if you have your 2x 2 GB sticks you can put those back in for a total of 12 GB.

My machine would randomly lock up, I got a replacement and installed the ram and had the same issue.

You may not believe it, but I'm 99% sure it's going to be your issue. I was using Crucial RAM as well. A lot of people state they can only get 16 GB stable with the Samsung sticks. Personally I got tired of messing with it and just left it at 12 GB, been perfect since.

edit:
    Here is the thread I found that made me try the RAM, even though it passes all tests, etc.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2657279?start=0&tstart=0

11. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I'm using 4x4GB Corsair Modules, not crucial. these modules have been working 100% fine in a 15" 2011 MBP 2.2Ghz with SSD. i even took the modules out of that MBP 2011 put them into the iMac and still the issues were pertinent.
    I believe I even used the 2x2GB (4GB) -- not 12gb as youre stating, and the crash/freeze/lock-up occurred.
    Currently the 17" MBP are experiencing issues regarding their sata connectors with noise interference soit doesnt surprise me it could be the SSD as it is also completely flash storage so if it is flaky flash/memory it will be pinpointed back to the SSD.

I'm also wondering if the system is trying to put the SSD into sleep mode or power it down while operating off the 2tb using itunes.
    I have my itunes library on the 2TB and odnt have the machine set to sleep but it could very well try to be putting the ssd into a powersave mode?

Who knows, but all I know is Apple service has been less than stellar at responding to my issue regarding this.

But the RAM modules checked out fine. i ran every single stick in a MBP 2011 on extended loops, used it in day to day usage, so I dont think theyd be too nuts with regards to the iMac.

12. Database macrumors member

You're missing the point, I'm not saying the RAM is bad. I'm saying the the 2011 iMacs seem to have issues running with 16 GB or at least with some RAM. I too had checked the RAM and it was stable in other machines, etc. I would at least try pulling out 2 sticks and verifying the issue still happens.

13. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

14. Philflow macrumors 65816

Which SSD is it?

I had freezes with Crucial M4 256GB. Had to update firmware to v2.

15. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

The BTO Apple Toshiba 256GB

16. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Yeah it had happened again, just a few moments ago. Im probably sending this guy back. until Apple gets their SSD crap under control. apparently its a pretty known issue accoridng some apple tech i spoke with.