Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AlexPalm

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2019
Hi there!

Could you please help with that GTX770M card ? Will it work in my iMac 27" 2011 ? I don't know the notebook model, just have a photo from seller:

Attachments

• IMG_20191018_143408.jpg
    IMG_20191018_143408.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 361
  • image;s=1000x700.jpeg
    image;s=1000x700.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 214

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
Hi there!

Could you please help with that GTX770M card ? Will it work in my iMac 27" 2011 ? I don't know the notebook model, just have a photo from seller:
It's really the ROM that is flashed to the card that matters, and whether you have the ability to change that ROM either with or without it inside the iMac. I see the rom chip on the left side of the card sitting under the black protective film. If you are familiar with what a CH341a is you can use a clip and flash that chip directly. If not you an install a W10 ssd into you iMac with the card connected enable automatic login and teamviewer auto login on your iMac (before removing the AMD 67xx card) and blind flash the card. Either way you might as well become familiar with a CH341a because modding the iMac's bootrom is where this project seems to be going.

Did the seller verify the cards functionality? There have been a few dud cards on this forum before.
All the 770m MXM cards I have seen online, including mine have the GD25Q20 FlashROM populated onboard and I can just barely see the one populated on the card you uploaded, If you have all means necessary to flash the card, and can verify functionality I say go for it. Also please modify your iMacs X-Clamp, you run the risk of shorting caps on the back if you don't look carefully.

Link to VBIOS and instructions https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-graphics-card-upgrade.1596614/post-27787298

Attachments

• image;s=1000x700.jpeg
    image;s=1000x700.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: jborko

AlexPalm

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2019
It's really the ROM that is flashed to the card that matters, and whether you have the ability to change that ROM either with or without it inside the iMac. I see the rom chip on the left side of the card sitting under the black protective film. If you are familiar with what a CH341a is you can use a clip and flash that chip directly. If not you an install a W10 ssd into you iMac with the card connected enable automatic login and teamviewer auto login on your iMac (before removing the AMD 67xx card) and blind flash the card. Either way you might as well become familiar with a CH341a because modding the iMac's bootrom is where this project seems to be going.

Did the seller verify the cards functionality? There have been a few dud cards on this forum before.
All the 770m MXM cards I have seen online, including mine have the GD25Q20 FlashROM populated onboard and I can just barely see the one populated on the card you uploaded, If you have all means necessary to flash the card, and can verify functionality I say go for it. Also please modify your iMacs X-Clamp, you run the risk of shorting caps on the back if you don't look carefully.

Link to VBIOS and instructions https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-graphics-card-upgrade.1596614/post-27787298
Thank you so much, I probably will go with that card. I more or less familiar with flashing, will make job via CH341.

Thanks again!

LegoNickD

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2018
Quick update, (I'm the guy putting a xeon and w7100 in a 27' 2010) I wired up the dying light module and got almost everything ready to finish the whole thing tomorrow I hope. Where can I find the bootrom and vbios and hopefully instructions understandable by someone who has never used an eprom flasher?
Also where is the chip on the lb?

Also just so anyone who want to know knows, you do have to Dremel out a bit of heatsink for a w7100, I went overboard a bit but oh well.
IMG_2373.png
Inside of the almost finished iMac, no the antenna don't fit the new wifi card, no idea if an adapter exists

IMG_2374.png
Card and the dremeling I had to do, can confirm that the x bracket that came with the heatsink fits the card perfectly

IMG_2375.png
Dying light and where I decided to tuck it away. I put headers on to make servicing less of a pain in the future. Yes I am aware my soldering isn't good. I lifted a pad on usb + but I managed to solder it on fine anyways.

Last edited:

Nick [D]vB

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2018
Erm, not sure how to break this to you...

That is the wrong graphics card! You need a WX7100 not a W7170 or S7100X.

I think you'll find that card won't even be detected, it's still worth testing it but you

might need to do an NVRAM reset on every boot, and MacOS might not load the drivers?

I'd set up TeamViewer with the working card so we can see what's happening.

Don't flash the vBIOS or Bootrom yet, but I might be able to make a mod for it.

It's worth trying the card before you send it back anyway.

Nice job on the DyingLight & WiFi btw!

Keep us posted...

Last edited:

LegoNickD

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2018
Erm, not sure how to break this to you...

That is the wrong graphics card! You need a WX7100 not a W7170 or S7100X.

Sure enough, you are correct.
I didn't even notice it but the ebay page I got it from shows the correct card and I got the card that is seen in the picture. I assume I should contact the seller either way since the performance on the W7170 is worse according to some random website. :(
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.11.31 PM.png
Guess I'll try it anyways without any flashing for science before I contacted the seller.

Reactions: Nick [D]vB

Nick [D]vB

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2018
Yeh they do look very similar, but the GPU die on the W7170 is a lot bigger, it's a barn-heater!

Seen lots of sellers doing a bait'n'switch with these so watch out for that, eBay should sort it.

No need to mod the sink / bracket for the WX7100, but shouldn't hurt as you've done it already.

Apple actually sold this chip as the M395X so there is an EFI for it, might be worth a shot?

But I'd expect detection problems, worth testing but I'd definitely swap it for a real WX7100.

I'm going out for a bit now but will be back in a few hours, let us know how the test goes.

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
Wow I had that same card in my watch list. That sucks I was hoping that card would be the future for my 27" iMac. Who know how much longer Kepler Kexts will be included in Mac OS. I was looking at the wx4170 but all the HP cards I've seen have no ROM chip on board.

LegoNickD

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2018
I got everything back together enough to test and there's nothing on the display. Not sure if that's because of my backlight mod work of if its the cards fault. I didn't notice the backlight coming on though so who knows. Unfortunately I didn't have any remote access set up under Mac OS so there's no real way to tell I think. Guess I should try and get my money back as soon as I can because the only other source for those cards I found takes forever to ship.

jmilan0302

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2019
Yeh they do look very similar, but the GPU die on the W7170 is a lot bigger, it's a barn-heater!

Seen lots of sellers doing a bait'n'switch with these so watch out for that, eBay should sort it.

No need to mod the sink / bracket for the WX7100, but shouldn't hurt as you've done it already.

Apple actually sold this chip as the M395X so there is an EFI for it, might be worth a shot?

But I'd expect detection problems, worth testing but I'd definitely swap it for a real WX7100.

I'm going out for a bit now but will be back in a few hours, let us know how the test goes.
I wonder if the Apple EFI could be modded to work? Though I've heard from others in this thread that newer iMacs use a different kind of EFI and it won't work.

wlagarde

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
I purchased several extra Dell Nvidia GTX765m video cards and Apple iMac AMD 6970 heatsinks and I have no need for them since I already have a working one and a spare. The heatsinks have been appropriately modified and the card has been confirmed working in my 2011 iMac27. I've listed one of the two I have on eBay if any are interested. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-5YPW3...-Heatsink-for-Apple-2011-iMac-27/133187130316.
I listed the other one here for any interested: http://ebay.us/egEIq5?cmpnId=5338273189. This one includes a DyingLight module.

geertv

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
Belgium
So guys, i'm reading thrue this post,and it's a massive amount of information to capture. Thanks for all effort and reasearch allready done.

After performing a memory upgrade and HDD--> SSD swap of a iMac Mid 2011 21,5", i would love to go one step further and swap the GPU for something compatible with Catalina.

If i understand correctly what allready has been written, in the 21,5" it would be better to go with a card that doesn't draw to much power, as such am i limited to the K1100M / K2000M ? Which would be recommended, both confirmed working without boot screen ?
I've seen some new HP K1100M on sale:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/New-NVIDIA-...602227?hash=item4d9de65eb3:g:9zcAAOSw1LJdpHtC

Next, i would only need to mod the heatsink ?

Thanks for your support !

ich558

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
Can i upgrade the iMac 21,5 2009 GPU?

On the first page i see only possibilities for the 27" 2009-2011 and for 21,5" 2010-2011.

But the 21,5 2009 should also have a mxm card, doesnt it?

jmilan0302

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2019
Can i upgrade the iMac 21,5 2009 GPU?

On the first page i see only possibilities for the 27" 2009-2011 and for 21,5" 2010-2011.

But the 21,5 2009 should also have a mxm card, doesnt it?
Yes but it uses LVDS instead of eDP like the later ones and besides, it's a Core 2 Duo... Why upgrade it?

ich558

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
Because of a dead GPU. A friend would like to use it further.

A K2000M would be the best option for under 100€ i think.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
So guys, i'm reading thrue this post,and it's a massive amount of information to capture. Thanks for all effort and reasearch allready done.

After performing a memory upgrade and HDD--> SSD swap of a iMac Mid 2011 21,5", i would love to go one step further and swap the GPU for something compatible with Catalina.

If i understand correctly what allready has been written, in the 21,5" it would be better to go with a card that doesn't draw to much power, as such am i limited to the K1100M / K2000M ? Which would be recommended, both confirmed working without boot screen ?
I've seen some new HP K1100M on sale:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/New-NVIDIA-...602227?hash=item4d9de65eb3:g:9zcAAOSw1LJdpHtC

Next, i would only need to mod the heatsink ?

Thanks for your support !

On the 21.5" models a heatsink mod is unnecessary. You'll instead need to drill out the rivets on the X-clamp provided with the Quadro card you purchase so that the screws and heatsink can mount correctly. Pretty easy to do, just work your way through drill bits. You MAY need to flash VBIOS on one of those cards - there's a guide to this and a link to the right VBIOS on the main page.

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
i am thinking of offering a heatsink mod and or with graphics card placement total package service.
(not gonna sell parts, just a modding service)

Let me know if anyone here is interessted, this gives me a picture of whether there are any interested in this service... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.