2011 iMac Graphics Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MichaelDT, Jun 14, 2013.

1. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

Am I right in thinking you need to change a kext file if using nvidia card on sierra? if you use yos or elcap its ok so I read?

To make a non-apple provided Nvidia graphics card work in macOS Sierra you need to do the following…
    Start the computer in safe mode by holding shift.
    Get your BoardID by running this command in terminal
    echo "<result>$(ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice | awk -F'["|"]' '/board-id/{print $4}')</result>"
    Open the AppleGraphicsControl Kext using this command
    sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
    Use the arrow keys to go down until you see <key>ConfigMap</key> followed by a bunch of keys and strings.
    LOOK FOR YOUR BOARD ID…
    IF IT IS LISTED: Change the string to <string>none</string>
    IF IT IS NOT LISTED: Add it in the same format as the ones listed.
    Save the file by pressing Ctrl+O, then enter.
    Exit by pressing Ctrl+X
    Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands:
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    AND
    sudo kextcache -system-caches

https://www.ifixit.com/Story/18646/Successful_iMac_Upgrade_to_GTX_880M

2. Alexiukas macrumors newbie

Struggling with the same. Just on mine i cant get it working on external display either... Have the same imac, same gpu.
    Did you try to do this safe mode thing, change the kext file?

3. Alexiukas macrumors newbie

Well, i hope someone can help me out... cause the imac is now just resting in peace... would like it to be alive, really alive, with the gtx980..

4. guillepunx macrumors newbie

I only wanted to post my success upgrading my iMac 27 late 2009 with a non apple 6970m 2GB from a dell laptop and having also boot screen.

All I had to do was download the rom from the original apple's videocard bios and flash it on the pc's videocard on CMD from Windows 7 via Bootcam on the own iMac.

It's simple and good way to save lot of money on a videocard and don't have to worry about lose your boot screen.
    I know that it's still and old card, but for a 2009 iMac it's a great way to improve it from a 512mb card to a 2gb one, and for use it with photoshop and this kind of software, it's a great way to improve performance.

Only cons, it don't recognize the GPU diode for temperature monitoring, so I'm using the heatsink sensor to control the ODD fan with Macs Fan Control app.

At first didn't expect that it would work to flash it via windows on bootcamp and was little scared to destroy the videocard. But it works perfect, so maybe people that are self confident modifying videocard's bios can make nvidia pc cards, capable of have boots creen. But on the VGA bios collection of PowerTechUp, there is no roms from this cards for apple, because those chips are soldered on the mainboard, but maybe there is a way to take the bios from them, I don't know... just leaving that idea. As they are physically different pretty sure that it's not going to work the same method that I used to get the boot screen.

5. guillepunx macrumors newbie

6. unca macrumors newbie

unca

notebook with MXM gpu slot...