Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AdamRealMacMods

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
2009-2011 is mostly the same systems. Any card that works in a 2011 should work in a 2009. Just make sure you have at least a i5. And check if the card needs a 3pipe cooler. I made that mistake with all kind of weird problems as result. A 2009 has a 2pipe cooler.
Yes, they do all appear very similar. So i am quite confused why it isn't working. Would a cooler make any real difference at this point in the process though? I get nothing on the screen even if i let run for an hour. I could absolutely see insufficient cooling being an issue to performance and reliability, but i dont think it would ever cause lack of image.

kanglinyao

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
I have a 2011 27" iMac.
I installed 780m and upgraded from Nickdvb beta 2 to nikey22 ROM.
Now I have brighness control in High Sierra, but I lost my Legacy Windows 10.
In hight sierra, The external monitor goes black when running minecraft in full screen. In catalina, I have no external monitor at all. My Legacy win10 freezes before the logo.

Can anyone provide the old kepler 780m beta2 rom? I really want to go back.

KennyW

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Where are people finding affordable 3 pipe heatsinks? Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but I'm only finding sellers seeking $200. Thx!
That would be outrageous !
I bought mine at ~US$12-15 via AliExpress.
Perhaps sellers are migrating to eBay for a bigger profit ...
I should have bought more to resell in eBay to recuperate my expenditure in cards ;)

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I have a 2011 27" iMac.
In hight sierra, The external monitor goes black when running minecraft in full screen. In catalina, I have no external monitor at all. My Legacy win10 freezes before the logo.

Search this thread for beta2 and author @Nick [D]vB - there is a hidden search function on top of this page nobody knows of.

To enable back the external screen you likely need the patched AGC. Tried to read the first post?

andrey_russian

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2018
Thanks for the great job!

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2020-10-18 в 10.41.33.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-10-18 в 10.41.33.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 233

Tuscon

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2020
Yes, they do all appear very similar. So i am quite confused why it isn't working. Would a cooler make any real difference at this point in the process though? I get nothing on the screen even if i let run for an hour. I could absolutely see insufficient cooling being an issue to performance and reliability, but i dont think it would ever cause lack of image.

My wifi fails after about 30 minutes of use. Turning the fans to 2500rpm solves that issue but is just not workable. So a 3pipe should fix that issue.

xanderon

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2019
oh guys, I need help :(

iMac 2011 latest 87.0.0.0.0 with K3100M flashed with linux to Nickys bios. that worked, but now I get a black screen and 3-4 chimes that are partially cut off. all 4 LEDs are green and on with LCD installed.

any ideas? pram reset isn't doing the trick.

fixed it: always check if your X-Clamp is not touching anything! I used the AMD clamp on 770, 2000, 2100, 4100, etc without any problems at all! but there is no guaranty that it will work forever. So K3100M is not liking the AMD Clamp, it wants its own Nvidia Clamp.

but still next problem: no load to the macOS installer. white screen freeze (?). I see the boot loader, I see cmd+v terminal during load, I tried high Sierra and Catalina but still, both are stuck after initial load and I can't enter macOS installation.

another test: inserted a clean ssd with 10.13.6 and it see the loading, but as soon as its done > internal white screen and external screen is also not getting any signal.

whatever I try right now: as soon as the driver are loaded the screen goes white. dead card?

rebooting to linux usb drive, I get the following informations: any ideas? bios bugged or card dead? my iMac is standing aside and its awaiting your insights and instructions ;)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-18 um 11.45.00.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-18 um 11.45.00.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Pascal Baillargeau

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2019
France
I have a 2011 27" iMac.

Here it is.

Attachments

• Kepler Beta2.zip
    519.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Kepler Beta3.zip
    562.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Kepler Beta1.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 168

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
fixed it: always check if your X-Clamp is not touching anything! I used the AMD clamp on 770, 2000, 2100, 4100, etc without any problems at all! but there is no guaranty that it will work forever. So K3100M is not liking the AMD Clamp, it wants its own Nvidia Clamp.

but still next problem: no load to the macOS installer. white screen freeze (?). I see the boot loader, I see cmd+v terminal during load, I tried high Sierra and Catalina but still, both are stuck after initial load and I can't enter macOS installation.

another test: inserted a clean ssd with 10.13.6 and it see the loading, but as soon as its done > internal white screen and external screen is also not getting any signal.

whatever I try right now: as soon as the driver are loaded the screen goes white. dead card?

rebooting to linux usb drive, I get the following informations: any ideas? bios bugged or card dead? my iMac is standing aside and its awaiting your insights and instructions ;)
Had two cards (broken) acting exactly like this. To cross check it the BIOS may cause the issue use the DELL BIOS I linked here somewhere in the past.

If you get the same behavior with another BIOS while booting into a MacOS version I would agree on the fact that your card is dead.

To get the Nividia cards installed correctly on the sink use the original Nvidia x-clamp or get a smaller Apple x-clamp from the 4xxx and 5xxx or 6570 or 6770 cards. The only Apple x-clamp which needs a lot of manual after work is the big one used with the 6790 cards. For this reason I avoid this part completely ...

xanderon

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2019
Had two cards (broken) acting exactly like this. To cross check it the BIOS may cause the issue use the DELL BIOS I linked here somewhere in the past.

If you get the same behavior with another BIOS while booting into a MacOS version I would agree on the fact that your card is dead.

To get the Nividia cards installed correctly on the sink use the original Nvidia x-clamp or get a smaller Apple x-clamp from the 4xxx and 5xxx or 6570 or 6770 cards. The only Apple x-clamp which needs a lot of manual after work is the big one used with the 6790 cards. For this reason I avoid this part completely ...

card is alive and rockin :D y? because @nikey22 is a damn wizard. that's y. restoring Time Machine on a fresh Catalina dosdude installation.

nikey22

Contributor
Dec 3, 2019
ON, Canada
@xanderon👍
The GDDR5 ram and generation die ("B") of your Hynix memory for that Clevo/Dell card is different than what the original Dell rom was built upon in my machine. Mine was older "A", yours is "B" based on the pictures you sent me.
I will be updating my K3100M post soon with the new information for everyone else. There seems to be 2 different memory types for these cards. Your problem was a great discovery!

Last edited:

streak8047

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
Ch431 Flashing Error on K2000M Graphics card ,used different version of Program same error, Erase completely, Auto Program option screen shot of error was attached.

Attachments

• Ch341 error.jpg
    Ch341 error.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 121
  • ch341 error 2.jpg
    ch341 error 2.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 132

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Can u recommend me a compatible wifi card to upgrade mine?

Reactions: OnawaAfrica

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
Thanks I'll check. It out tomorow

kanglinyao

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Search this thread for beta2 and author @Nick [D]vB - there is a hidden search function on top of this page nobody knows of.

To enable back the external screen you likely need the patched AGC. Tried to read the first post?

Thank you so much for the reminder. I read the post again more carefully, I do need to patch AGC. I will try this later tonight.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello just wanted to post my success, took me about a month of stress and hair pulling figuring out to get everything working, my setup is Mid 2011 21.5 iMac, 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 2600, 32GB RAM, dual SSD with dual boot OpenCore Windows 10 and Catalina, Video Card AMD Radeon Pro WX4150 detected as a 4GB Radeon RX 460 on both systems, brightness control working on both systems too, I couldn't be happier to take my old mac that I found on the trash to the highest level, thank you all for the help, time and money spent on this amazing matter, here are my pictures

Can you give some instructions about getting Catalina to detect WX4150 correctly?
Did you just make a clean install using USB installer created by dosdude1's patch, or did you have to manual patch any kext?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.