Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Bacci

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Hey everyone

Great work on replacing the graphics card of old iMacs with Mojave compatible ones! Those machines have a few more years worth of life in them, at least!

I went ahead and ordered an Alienware GTX 765m to replace the stock Radeon 5750 in my 2010 27 iMac.
Also got the K5 paste.

I wonder what the best way forward is to keep M1 and M2 on the 765M cool? I no longer have a workbench, Dremel, etc. since I moved to the city. I'm hesitant to attach small heatsinks with thermal paste, as these could cause a short if they detach at some point. Maybe just putting lots of K5 goo over their solder points to thermally connect them to the heatsink would be enough?

Also I wonder if it's best to upgrade to Mojave before replacing the graphics card? It should work with the dosdude patch, only with slow and dodgy graphics before the replacement. That way I'd have access to the boot screen in case there's a problem?

Reactorvisual

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
The exact pictures of my card are on page 35, but i'll include the picture again. No it does not have a standard 8 legged EEPROM on it. This is a dell card with firmware 80.04.AF.00.03 on it. To be sure it's a dell card it will have this sticker (see picture 2) on it.
i wonder if there are different 780m coming from alienware laptop, i mean, are there different bios reported coming from this particular card? I ask because maybe themselves updated the bios at one point and started producing 780m with newer of different bios, does that makes any sense? so far the original bios is 80.04.af.00.03.

My question is, are there any other bios for this card? if i buy a 780m pulled from an allienware do I have to cross my fingers hoping it comes with that bios? or thar is the only bios I'll receive for sure?

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
i wonder if there are different 780m coming from alienware laptop, i mean, are there different bios reported coming from this particular card? I ask because maybe themselves updated the bios at one point and started producing 780m with newer of different bios, does that makes any sense? so far the original bios is 80.04.af.00.03.

My question is, are there any other bios for this card? if i buy a 780m pulled from an allienware do I have to cross my fingers hoping it comes with that bios? or thar is the only bios I'll receive for sure?
The best I can say is buy one from an individual seller and not a bulk retailer. The bios bios revision is printed somewhere on the card as a sticker.

Reactorvisual

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
The best I can say is buy one from an individual seller and not a bulk retailer. The bios bios revision is printed somewhere on the card as a sticker.
there are around 9 780m list d on ebay, none of them has the sticker bios like the 765m has, anyway i already ordered one from a seller who just did an upgrade over an alienware, is almost here, so i’ll post the result.

Reactions: Junkieneedsafix

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
there are around 9 780m list d on ebay, none of them has the sticker bios like the 765m has, anyway i already ordered one from a seller who just did an upgrade over an alienware, is almost here, so i’ll post the result.

i think this cards should work fine :
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Dell-Alienw...h=item1cb19752ad:g:c3EAAOSwWV9bQZYJ:rk:3:pf:0

It looks the same as the Dell GTX780m card highvoltage12v used in his 27" iMac.

I think you can always ask seller, if he can provided detail about bios version.

man1sshhh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
Hello everyone. I’ve been following this thread for couple of weeks now. I really appreciate everyones effort in sharing and fixing problems on this thread. There are couple of things that I would like some clarity on, which in this case is more specific to my situation.

I’ve a mid 2011 27” iMac with a dead 512MB AMD Radeon 6770M and a 2 heat-dissipating tubes heat sink. After reviewing several success stories with Dell Alienware GTX765M. I decided to order one and try and revive my iMac which has been dead for over a year now. My usage of the iMac is mostly working with documents and playing HD or 4k videos once a while. I would really appreciate some clarity on the following information I have:
  1. I understand that the default heatsink I have is specifically designed for 512MB AMD Radeon 6770M and not for 2GB GTX 765M. Can this be a problem? Will using extra thermal pads/copper thermals pads help solve the heating issue?
  2. I do not have a Dremel, hence modifying the apple x-clamp maybe a barrier. Can X-clamp covered with electrical duct tape help avoid shortages? Is there any other material that can be used to cover the X-clamp for optimal safety? Are there any other work around?
  3. Has there been any positive update in enabling EFI boot, brightness slider and recovery mode?
The GTX 765M card for Dell Alienware I ordered from Aliexpress will arrive in few days and I am hoping that everything goes well.

UTB8M1JVDWrFXKJk43Ovq6ybnpXa7.jpg

Last edited:

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Hello everyone. I’ve been following this thread for couple of weeks now. I really appreciate everyones effort in sharing and fixing problems on this thread. There are couple of things that I would like some clarity on, which in this case is more specific to my situation.

I’ve a mid 2011 27” iMac with a dead 512MB AMD Radeon 6770M and a 2 heat-dissipating tubes heat sink. After reviewing several success stories with Dell Alienware GTX765M. I decided to order one and try and revive my iMac which has been dead for over a year now. My usage of the iMac is mostly working with documents and playing HD or 4k videos once a while. I would really appreciate some clarity on the following information I have:
  1. I understand that the default heatsink I have is specifically designed for 512MB AMD Radeon 6770M and not for 2GB GTX 765M. Can this be a problem? Will using extra thermal pads/copper thermals pads help solve the heating issue?
  2. I do not have a Dremel, hence modifying the apple x-clamp maybe a barrier. Can X-clamp covered with electrical duct tape help avoid shortages? Is there any other material that can be used to cover the X-clamp for optimal safety? Are there any other work around?
  3. Has there been any positive update in enabling EFI boot, brightness slider and recovery mode?
The GTX 765M card for Dell Alienware I ordered from Aliexpress will arrive in few days and I am hoping that everything goes well.

View attachment 799140

hi,

I would like to share some info and tips !

- Use a greater heatsink from the HD6970m series, the bigger one has 3 heatpipes.
(you have the smaller HD6750/6770m heatsink now, for mxm-a cards)
I think it will be beter to use the bigger one for the GTX765m and other mxm-b cards.
Your current smaller heatsink is designed for mxm-a cards, and the GTX765m is a mxm-b card.
Which means that the vram chips, and power capacitors would not get any cooling, since the card is bigger than the heatsink there is no room for it..
A bigger heatsink is a must I would say...

Examples here for puchase :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac...h=item2149429a13:g:UP0AAOSw7j5bEE~G:rk:3:pf:0

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Koop-A1312-originele-voor-Apple-iMac-27-HD6970-HD6970m-HD-6970-m-109-C29657-00-216/32859061786.html?spm=a2g0z.search0104.3.19.6ce328ddMgsYz3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10068_318_10890_319_10546_10548_317_5730318_5728818_5729218_10696_5731318_10084_5731218_10083_10618_452_5731118_10304_10307_10820_532_5731418_5731518_204_10843_328_5731618_10059_10884_323_325_10887_100031_320_321_322_10103_5731718,searchweb201603_55,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=da56bd25-7196-42ff-bc65-b9f07265e51e&algo_expid=da56bd25-7196-42ff-bc65-b9f07265e51e-3

- use K4/K5 pro thermal paste, to use for the ram chips and power capacitors..
Info and pictures are posted in this topic, I have also shared some video's from the creaters of this product.
more info can be found here, and product purchase :
http://www.computer-systems.gr/en/content/product/k5-pro-60g-3x20g
https://www.amazon.com/viscous-thermal-replacement-60g-Aspire/dp/B00K04D3UK

- You must modify the heatsink with a dremmel, otherwise the card won't fit
At least for my GTX765m you must use a dremmel to modify it, and use electrical tape, or duct tape of some kind to prevent electrical shortage.
I had to do this, otherwise the Apple x-clamp would not fit, and would touch capacitors on the backside of the board..
I have taped it also with magic 3M tape, to be sure not to give electrical problems..

- currenly there is no EFI boot available yet.
MacVidcards is working hard on this one.
Info about the progress can be found here :
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,13815.45.html
http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/imac-cards-coming

- as far for Brightness control
there as 2 soltions for this as Far as I know :
use Free Mac App store app : Brightness Slider
https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/brightness-slider/id456624497?mt=12
Or use the free App : Shades
http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

Attachments

• MXM A vs Bweb.jpg
    MXM A vs Bweb.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

man1sshhh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
- You must modify the heatsink with a dremmel, otherwise the card won't fit

- for the GTX765m you must use a dremmel to modify it, and use electrical tape, or duct tape of some kind to prevent electrical shortage

Great. Thanks FlorisVN. Initially, I will be using the default heatsink to test the card when it arrives, find a way to modify the X-clamp and perhaps order HD6970m at a later date. Does the heatsink I have require any modification? Its smaller compared to the HD6970m series and may perhaps be a good fit.

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Great. Thanks FlorisVN. Initially, I will be using the default heatsink to test the card when it arrives, find a way to modify the X-clamp and perhaps order HD6970m at a later date. Does the heatsink I have require any modification? Its smaller compared to the HD6970m series and may perhaps be a good fit.

hi,
glad to help..

I'm pretty sure the x-clamp problem will be there always..
You have to modify it to use with the GTX765m.

I think indeed you are right about your HD6770m heatsink, it's possible it would fit the GTX765m.
But then only use it for short time of testing...
If the card works, then get a HD6970m heatsink, for your card.

I hope to finish my mod this week.
Since there are still 4 heatsink vram chips on the backside of the GTX765m, I'm planning to put 1mm copper plates on them with 3m thermal tape.
Then create a custom air duct for the hdd fan, to blow air over the backside of the GTX765m card.
Pictures of this mod I will post here.
But some other example pictures I have posted here before, and it has been spoken here on this topic...
info can be found in this topic...

man1sshhh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
I hope to finish my mod this week.
Since there are still 4 heatsink vram chips on the backside of the GTX765m, I'm planning to put 1mm copper plates on them with 3m thermal tape.
Then create a custom air duct for the hdd fan, to blow air over the backside of the GTX765m card.
Pictures of this mod I will post here.
But some other example pictures I have posted here before, and it has been spoken here on this topic...
info can be found in this topic...
That'll be great. Looking forward to your post!

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
- currenly there is no EFI boot available yet.
MacVidcards is working hard on this one.
Info about the progress can be found here :
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,13815.45.html

Hmm. This quote form MVC per your link suggests otherwise.
yea, sadly i have a lot on my plate right now, like enough for Christmas dinner already. Don't know when i can get back to it, this is why i was looking for someone top work WITH

Looks like he is not working on it at all, let alone hard.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
hello all,

maybe slightly off topic but i feel like there are people here who can help me with this one

i haven’t gotten a new card yet to replace my dead 6970 so i baked it to get it back up and running for now

it seems to be working fine but i’ve never worked with thermal paste before so i’m not sure if i did a great job

i’m wondering what sort of temperature difference i should expect to see between the gpu die and the heat sink when it starts getting hot

i’m thinking this would be a good way to tell if it’s cooling properly

thanks for any input !

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
hello all,

maybe slightly off topic but i feel like there are people here who can help me with this one

i haven’t gotten a new card yet to replace my dead 6970 so i baked it to get it back up and running for now

it seems to be working fine but i’ve never worked with thermal paste before so i’m not sure if i did a great job

i’m wondering what sort of temperature difference i should expect to see between the gpu die and the heat sink when it starts getting hot

i’m thinking this would be a good way to tell if it’s cooling properly

thanks for any input !

as far as my testing have done, the difference between the heatsink and gpu die is about 5-8 celsius degrees.
This is for testing with my Nvidia GTX765m card.
I have tested it within Bootcamp aswell as MacOS..

Best is to spread the thermal paste, since GPU die is directly contacting the GPU heatsink.
There is no IHS in between..

Best i think use Artic Silver MX4 or K4 Pro.
Since these are non-conductive thermal paste , it does not do harm if they spread out of the GPU die and end up all over the chip...

I still reccomend you upgrade your GPU to an Nvidia compatible one.
Since your baked HD6970m will die again anyway...

Bacci

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Reporting another successful replacement of the stock Radeon 5750 by an Alienware GTX 765m in a 27" iMac 11,3 (mid 2010).

I installed Mojave first with the old card still in, using Dosdude's USB image with unchecked graphics patch.
Mojave actually runs well after this for normal web browsing etc. Completing the whole setup first is completely doable.

Then opened up the iMac. Had to run out to Home Depot to get a Dremel :( the heatsink didn't fit on the gtx 765m, so had to cut away a good bit of metal for the 2 chips near the end to fit and sit flush. These need good cooling.

Using a metal drill bit, I adapted the Alienware X-bracket for the Apple screws to fit through, it took less than a minute. Decided to use that one instead of Apple's because it has a heatsink for the back chips that need cooling. I hope it's enough without custom airflow, I'm not a desktop gamer.

upload_2018-10-29_20-53-25.png

upload_2018-10-29_20-53-12.png

upload_2018-10-29_20-54-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-29_20-53-42.png
    upload_2018-10-29_20-53-42.png
    932.2 KB · Views: 102
  • upload_2018-10-29_20-53-51.png
    upload_2018-10-29_20-53-51.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 100

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Reporting another successful replacement of the stock Radeon 5750 by an Alienware GTX 765m in a 27" iMac 11,3 (mid 2010).

I installed Mojave first with the old card still in, using Dosdude's USB image with unchecked graphics patch.
Mojave actually runs well after this for normal web browsing etc. Completing the whole setup first is completely doable.

Then opened up the iMac. Had to run out to Home Depot to get a Dremel :( the heatsink didn't fit on the gtx 765m, so had to cut away a good bit of metal for the 2 chips near the end to fit and sit flush. These need good cooling.

Using a metal drill bit, I adapted the Alienware X-bracket for the Apple screws to fit through, it took less than a minute. Decided to use that one instead of Apple's because it has a heatsink for the back chips that need cooling. I hope it's enough without custom airflow, I'm not a desktop gamer.

View attachment 799380

View attachment 799379

View attachment 799383

Hi nice to see your iMac 2010 upgrade !
I suppose 2009 users can also benefit from this upgrade I suppose..
I think some 2009 users also reported succesfull upgrades over here.. ?

Did you use k4/K5 pro for your GPU ??
I really recommend that stuff..

I still reccomend you make some cooling mod for the other 2 vram chips.
I looked at the original Alienware notebook, and it had cooling for the backside of the vram chips built in, so i definitly needs some cooling..

I'm planning and hoping to finish my mod this week, and I will show some pictures of the backside of my card.
I'm also planning to make a custom air duct for the hdd fan, to flow over the backside of the GPU.
I will create this from plastic PVC I think...

Will keep you guys posted here...

Bacci

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
I did use the K4 (core) and K5 (peripheral chips) you recommended earlier in this thread. Great paste indeed, especially for filling small gaps caused by imperfect fit! I applied generously :) Thanks for the tip!

Many GPU designs don't have memory cooling, so I'm not going to worry about the 2 SKhynix DDR on the back. They're on the top part that sticks out from the logic board and they do have some breathing space around them, in part because my machine has a 2.5" SSD in the main bay. The constant HDD fan flow should be enough. If I were a gamer who stresses the card daily, I would look into it though.

As an afterthought, the next time I open my iMac I might take the OWC hard drive temperature sensor of the SSD (which doesn't really need temp monitoring) and stick it either on the GTX PCB or on the heatsink next to the cross which is partially wedged behind the logic board.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
As an afterthought, the next time I open my iMac I might take the OWC hard drive temperature sensor of the SSD (which doesn't really need temp monitoring) and stick it either on the GTX PCB or on the heatsink next to the cross which is partially wedged behind the logic board.

My guess is that the hard drive fan would be on permanently and at full pelt since GPUs run typically at a much higher temperature than HDDs. Maybe MacsFanControl would override the firmware settings.

wpalomine

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Successful upgrade to GTX 770m on a 21.5 mid-2011! Thanks to everyone on this loooong thread.

Had to remove one of the HDD post and cut a couple of Millimeters from the plastic airflow dividers. No changes need in firmware or drivers.

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
I just did the 770m install in my 2011 21.5 iMac, I have noticed a few things. Sleep in broken in Mojave and the internal display wasn't turning on in Mojave. Installing "whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext" fixed the internal display not turning on and improved performance (which i'll talk about more in the Windows part of this post) but it is still a bit laggy when scrolling through files.

To see what was going on with the card in terms of thermals and GPU core clock speeds, I made an EFI install of Windows 10, placed it into a 2012 MBP with 650m to install real Nvidia drivers, then installed it into the iMac. Doing this was needed to have an image in Windows. From what I can tell the card only hits a Maximum of 405 MHz when running valley benchmark, This was confirmed in GPU-Z. Its only hitting 43C in Windows with the optical drive fan at 2600RPM. The interesting thing in Windows was after i reinstalled Nvidia graphics drivers (but didn't reboot yet) I had display brightness functionality! This was incredibly strange that there was communication with the backlight at all. After I rebooted unfortunately the slider went away. I think the card is only hitting 405MHz because it is not receiving enough power from the PSU. Unless someone else has another explanation.

Attachments

• brightness slider Windows .jpg
    brightness slider Windows .jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 283
  • iMac 21 internal view AC card and 770m.jpg
    iMac 21 internal view AC card and 770m.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 233
  • valley.jpg
    valley.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 216

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I just did the 770m install in my 2011 21.5 iMac, I have noticed a few things. Sleep in broken in Mojave and the internal display wasn't turning on in Mojave. Installing "whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext" fixed the internal display not turning on and improved performance (which i'll talk about more in the Windows part of this post) but it is still a bit laggy when scrolling through files.

To see what was going on with the card in terms of thermals and GPU core clock speeds, I made an EFI install of Windows 10, placed it into a 2012 MBP with 650m to install real Nvidia drivers, then installed it into the iMac. Doing this was needed to have an image in Windows. From what I can tell the card only hits a Maximum of 405 MHz when running valley benchmark, This was confirmed in GPU-Z. Its only hitting 43C in Windows with the optical drive fan at 2600RPM. The interesting thing in Windows was after i reinstalled Nvidia graphics drivers (but didn't reboot yet) I had display brightness functionality! This was incredibly strange that there was communication with the backlight at all. After I rebooted unfortunately the slider went away. I think the card is only hitting 405MHz because it is not receiving enough power from the PSU. Unless someone else has another explanation.

Great upgrade !!

Got a few questions here..

Maybay the 21,5" iMac indeed has not got enough power delivery to the GPU, and the GTX770m has not enough power to go to full speed, but stays at this low clock speed ?
Then maybay its better to go with a less power hungy card, like an GTX765m perhaps.. ?

I have also noticed that sleep function was not working on our 27" GTX765m equiped iMac.
I did not had a solution for this, until I see your post about whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext files.
So this does fixes also the sleep problems under Mojave ?
I'm wondering where did you find this info, here on the Mojave on Unsupported Macs topic on MR ??

My GTX765m worked OOB with Mojave, just like it did under High Sierra.
So the internal iMac display worked just fine, also external monitor (1 port only), but sleep did not worked correct it did not turned on the screen again after sleep mode...

Could this sleep issue be a problem, that as nothing to do with a 3rd party GPU, but with Mojave in combination with this unsupported iMac.. ?

Great to see you got Windows running with internal display.
I only got it to work, withouth display visible (black screen), 1 display out did worked under Bootcamp however.
I had Windows 7 non-efi install..
I also made an Winclone image of that one, in case anybody is interessted here, contact me.

however, can you make an winclone image of your Windows 10 install ??
that would be great, i would like to test your Windows 10 EFI install with Nvidia Drivers on our iMac...

Last edited:

Reactorvisual

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
MOJAVE SCREEN.png
ANOTHER successful install of a 780M.

First of thanks to everyone in this forum who have shared info about the matter, i was fortunate enough to pick an OEM refurbished from the manufacturer GTX 780M wich was sent in replacement to a dell alienware owner who decided to migrate to the 980M so he posted the new (refurbished) 780M for just $118 on Ebay, It looked new, it smelled new, so nice purchase.

I encountered some problems I was expecting since I disassembled my 27 imac 2011 multiple times since I did a succesful baking 5 months ago to the original card, wich worked great until it didn't, and i believe it hapenned because after the baking, I never connected the little temperature sensor conector that comes from the heatsink of the GPU to the motherboard, after that I never heard the fans spin anymore and though it was because of the HDD swap i did simultaneously with the baking (I went from 1HDD + 1 DVD ROM to 3 SSD) pics attached. so that mistake I believe is what 5 months later ended up toasting the original Radeon 6970 1gb card, the imac used to get finger burning hot.

So, after I unmount the olf one and overplace the 780M i noticed the part of the heatsink some members suggest to trim out was close but not really touching, so i decided to not trim nothing and went ahead to screw it, I started noticing that because of it the card kind of bended very little, but i felt it would not matted and assembled the whole thing.

First I noticed only 2 led were on on the board with means there is no communication between the GPU and the board if the #3 led is off, fortunately I had prepared screen sharing and even with only 2 leds on, the screen popped on by sharing it to my macbook pro, go figure!.

one thing to notice is the screen sharing last a lot to appear so I was loosing hope but after like 2 minutes it popped.

So i now know the card is working but feels extremely slow/lagging, it was the Nvidia drivers I had pre installed thinking they would improve performance, forget about it at least with the 780m.

One mistake i have read a lot here is that after installing a card the screen goes black, i knew it could happen because previously dealing with the original card had to disassemble/mount the card like 8 times, and a couple of those the screen remained black after power up chime, so the mistake is you need to be very careful connecting the LCD monitor to the board, all the tima my black screen got solved by carefully reconnecting that particular cable, that happened today in my first try, and thats how i solved it.

As expected, no boot screen nor opacity levels.

While with the original card (wich was shutting down the whole system after intense tasks, but in light use still functional) i installed 3 operating system one in each disk including Mojave, cause I knew without boot screen I would not be able to install more OS, now I can boot from sierra to mojave thru "startup disk"in control panel.

I did a cinebench test and the card was 67 FPS, the original Radeon 6970 1gb was 32 FPS, also, before no way 4k video would play snooth, now it does, MOjave at least for now dont accelerate using the 780M because of the lack of drivers, read they wont be doing nothing about it so we are in the mercy of apple in that OS, pretty crappy/laggy video playing in MOJAVE even HD from youtube or file.

I conclusion i just placed the card straight up no mods, should have not install the Nvidia drivers, since those just made me believe for a while that the card was bad, video plays way better than before, I use it for edditing in Premiere and everything moves smoother, after applying effects has faster performance, very happy with this experiment, hopefuly this machine have some extra years of life, good luck!
HIGH SIERRA 780M DETAILS.png
780M DUAL DISPLAY.png
780M DRIVERS ONLY WORKING MAC ONES.png
DUAL DISPLAY.JPG
TRIPLE SSD SETUP.JPG
TRIPLE SSD.JPG

Reactions: vkd

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
Great upgrade !!

Got a few questions here..

Maybay the 21,5" iMac indeed has not got enough power delivery to the GPU, and the GTX770m has not enough power to go to full speed, but stays at this low clock speed ?
Then maybay its better to go with a less power hungy card, like an GTX765m perhaps.. ?

I have also noticed that sleep function was not working on our 27" GTX765m equiped iMac.
I did not had a solution for this, until I see your post about whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext files.
So this does fixes also the sleep problems under Mojave ?
I'm wondering where did you find this info, here on the Mojave on Unsupported Macs topic on MR ??

My GTX765m worked OOB with Mojave, just like it did under High Sierra.
So the internal iMac display worked just fine, also external monitor (1 port only), but sleep did not worked correct it did not turned on the screen again after sleep mode...

Could this sleep issue be a problem, that as nothing to do with a 3rd party GPU, but with Mojave in combination with this unsupported iMac.. ?

Great to see you got Windows running with internal display.
I only got it to work, withouth display visible (black screen), 1 display out did worked under Bootcamp however.
I had Windows 7 non-efi install..
I also made an Winclone image of that one, in case anybody is interessted here, contact me.

however, can you make an winclone image of your Windows 10 install ??
that would be great, i would like to test your Windows 10 EFI install with Nvidia Drivers on our iMac...

I stupidly made the Windows install using my Microsoft account (and it actually activated to the iMac, go figure) so unfortunately I would have to create a whole new Windows install for you. As for installing lilu and whatever green, make sure you find the SIPmanager kext from Dosdude1 Mojave patcher and install it to your high Sierra and Mojave partition. This kext will disable SIP beyond the NVram parameters so doing a pram reset won't prevent boot. My 27" has sleep in Mojave but it has the 780m installed. I really thought sleep would work on this 21.5 iMac as well, I'm baffled that it's not. I almost want to go image my Mojave install to it as well. I noticed on my 27" the GPU power management kext isn't loading at all. So maybe try deleting the kext? Only do this if you have screen sharing enabled just to be safe.

codesoho

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2018
I've noticed few ppl in this thread are having windows issues... I've been tinkering with Mojave/Win10 dual boot setup (without bootcamp) over the weekend so I'm posting my experience in case anyone finds it useful.

My setup:
I already had Mojave on one of my SSD drives and wanted to do clean Win 10 install on the other. I had to disconnect the sata cable from the macOS drive because the setup was getting interrupted by the infamous EFI error. The correct sequence on a new system (with GPT formated drive) would be to do Windows first and then macOS, but anyway...

I used my Apple Radeon card to finish the setup and installed teamviewer as a workaround to the black screen issue. Opened my iMac and plugged back my GTX765m and SATA cable. Installed the NVIDIA windows drivers via TW and the internal display was back on instantly. No black screen on wake up either, which is weird because the very own Apple Radeon HD 5750 was behaving weird in that regard. I guess its a driver issue.

Finally, as solution to the missing boot-screen I installed rEFInd on my Mojave EFI partition. From there all you have to do is press (M)ac or (W)indows on startup (within 20 sec by default) to select the preferred OS. Alternatively you can use 1,2,3... keys if you have more than two bootable drives.

Polydactyl

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
Has anyone here updated to 10.14.1? If so how did you do it? Full reinstall using Dosdude’s updated patcher or did you just run the MacOS Software Update?

I see the 10.14.1 listed in Software Update, but I’m hesitant to pull the trigger. Running a 2010 iMac with a GTX 765 if that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.