2011 iMac Graphics Issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by marka87uk, Sep 12, 2013.

1. marka87uk macrumors newbie

Hi,

After reading last month that Apple are offering to replace graphics cards in certain iMacs, and then realising mine was one of the possibly affected units, it has now decided to play up on me for the first time, with a few issues over the last day!

What's the best way to get this sorted? I don't want to be left without it for ages... Can I take it into a store for them to replace there and then?

2. omvs macrumors 6502

I'm mostly speculating, but I'm guessing that it'll take a day or so to get the parts in stock.

If you don't want to live without the machine, maybe you can take it in, demo the problem, get them to order the parts, leave with the machine, and bring it back when the parts arrive. It does mean you have to cart it back and forth more times...

They *might* loan you a machine if you have applecare (I see references online to loaner laptops), though never tried it. And I'd expect you'd want the data on your machine so its probably not a realistic option.

I'd schedule an appointment and talk with them. I've generally found them to be act reasonably -- twice swapped stuff for free out of warranty when it was clearly not a user-caused problem.

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

Just call Applecare and discuss it with them. They will make an appointment at your nearest Store or ASP and let you know how long it should take. If you paid for Applecare they may be able to have a technician visit your home or office to replace the video card. This is for the AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card.

4. DianeK macrumors regular

1. Get a screenshot or a digital camera image of the display issue so you have supporting documentation.
    2. Even with that, be prepared for them to want to test the graphics card before approving you for a replacement - seems to depend on who you get.
    3. In the mid-2011 iMac the card resides behind the logic board so this isn't a quick and easy swap. On learning this, I elected to have the work done "in the shop" rather than on-site in my home.
    4. I have found it easier dealing with an alternate service provider rather than my local Apple store but YMMV.
    5. Everything seems to go more smoothly if you have AppleCare so if you do, call them first.
    Diane

5. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

My machine encountered this problem and was within the specs of this recall... I took it in on a Sunday evening (that's the appointment I was able to get) and I got an email on Thursday evening telling me it's ready... So I picked it up on Friday morning..

This was for a 2GB card.. And the Apple Store in question was at The Grove of Los Angeles...

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It will usually take 4-5 days. You will need to bring it in for them to diagnose the problem. It will take 1-2 days for the parts to come in and a day to fix it. They do not keep parts in the store. They then like a day or so to test it and make sure everything is in working order before calling you to pick it up.

Have been through the experience a few times with my old 2011 iMac. Every time was same time frame.

7. marka87uk thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thank you! I have got Applecare so I will see what they say. :)