2011 iMac i5 Won't Start

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robastewart, Jan 25, 2014.

1. robastewart macrumors newbie

iMac won't start after routine sleep mode. Walked away from machine as usual. It is set to sleep after 15 minutes. But coming back to it several hours later it is just dead. No power indicated when pressing the power button.

Thoughts please?

Thank you.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Try unplugging it from the AC for at least 15 seconds, unplugging all peripherals except keyboard and mouse, then trying to turn it back on. If nothing at that point (and you know the AC outlet is good and doesn't have a blown fuse/circuit breaker), then your computer is going to need some professional attention.

3. robastewart thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Thanks. Have tried all the recommended home remedies to no success and agree with you that professional attention is needed. Just got back from taking it in to Simply Mac for diagnosis and repair. Should know something in a couple days.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When you try doing the unplugging you should also have tried holding power for 30 second as you plugged it in. This will perform a reset of the SMC.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I usually avoid correcting posts, but that's the wrong method to do an SMC reset:
    Don't hold the power button in, while connecting the power cord.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1433

It's like this:
    (There have been a couple of Mac models that process will help, iMac G5 I think, but not since Apple moved from PPC to intel processors)