2011 iMac Issues - Video posted - please help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Blazer5913, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I need some help. Recently, whenever I leave my 2011 iMac for a few hours and come back to wake it from sleep, it seems as if it's malfunctioning big time. I can't describe it that well, so I posted a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybtGW4Oxt34) so you all can see. Basically, it's a bunch of oddly-colored small squares in rectangular sections. They seem to respond/go away/move with the click of a mouse or moving windows. Sometimes, it will eventually go away. But other times, it just freezes up completely and I have to restart my computer. My specs are: 27" mid-2011, 2.7 i5, 12gb ram, AMD Radeon 512mb graphics card. As you can see, I have more than enough free RAM available. I have a 2TB attached WD external HDD. What is going on here? Any ideas? Or anything to at least try? I'm getting worried because my AppleCare recently ran out this summer and I don't want this to be an end to my computer!

2. sharon22 macrumors regular

Don't delay -- contact Apple. I read in a "Consumer" type magazine (not supposed to give the name) that some really big companies, in the spirit of customer service, MAY give a little erm... "leeway"... when it comes to warranties running out.

I'm not trying to "suggest" anything, I'm just asking... but, perhaps you noticed the Graphics Problem back during the summer? Did you try to call Apple back in the Summer, but was on hold for a long time and then gave up?

That's happened to me before -- I have something under warranty, I try to get it fixed, but they're busy, you're busy, time passes... and then finally when I get around to calling back, I end up with a nice person who says, "bring it on in." Now, if that doesn't happen to you, that's not their fault, but it's worth calling up (or going to a local store) and seeing what happens.

I've heard Apple is a really good company.

3. gpc003 macrumors newbie

Could be faulty ram, or a faulty graphics card. I have also seen a lot of weird graphics glitches on machines running Yosemite.

4. sharon22 macrumors regular

While waiting for your Apple Service appointment, you can also go into Users and Groups, create a New User. Then, log out, then log yourself back in as the New User, and see if the problem persists. It probably WILL persist, but if for some reason the problem goes away, then that means you simply have a software conflict.

Also, make sure to do all the usual stuff -- reset PRAM, reset NVRAM, reset SMC. None of those will probably help, but at least when someone later suggests, "Oh, hey, did you reset the PRAM," you'll be able to say "Yes." :)

ONE other thing you can try (again, this won't work, but it will at least make you feel like you're 'doing something') is to go into Applications/Utilities and launch Console. Have console running (with "show ALL system messages" displayed). The very second you see the graphics glitch, look over at Console and see if your computer is posting any error messages...

The other thing you can do (which won't help LOL) is to start up in Single-User-Mode (hold Command-S during startup) and read the black and white screen that appears. It will say "loading such-and-such graphics controller, blah blah blah," and it might say something about "trying to load.... can't load.... aborted...." or something. If that happens, then that is yet another clue to what may be wrong.

5. roberthallin macrumors member

+1 on sharon22's suggestions.

Also, did you change anything recently? Maybe an OS upgrade or something that has to do with the physical side of things? Opened the computer, vacuumed it or anything like that? Might seem like obvious questions but it might help you to get closer to figuring out whether it's on the hardware or software-side of things.