2011 imac meet my needs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by well2thebone, Sep 29, 2012.

1. well2thebone macrumors newbie

I'v been watching this site over the past few months and realize a new imac may be around the corner. However, the lack of any real news emerging has me wondering if a 2011 refurb imac will do the trick. I will be using it SOLELY for music production. It would be nice to be able to play sc2, but that doesn't matter too much. i will be using digital performer and an apogee interface (usb 2.0). I plan on using hardware synths, so from a cpu perspective, I mainly want the software to handle the daw and effects.

So i don't really think i need usb 3, but i would be more comfortable w/ i7 over i5, but i could get the upgraded 27 inch w/ i7. As far as ssd, i definitely want ssd, but im wondering if i will really see much benefit. Im currently on a 2009 macbook pro and the 5400 rpm is just unacceptable to me, but i figure 7200 will be a big improvement. from messing with them at best buy, it seems loading garageband on the retina macbook pro vs imac wasnt much of a difference. Will the ssd be a major advantage when handling a bunch of audio files?

Just wondering if you guys had any input on ssd advantages as well as i5 vs i7, is it that big a deal.

2. karpich1 macrumors regular

I don't see why the 2011 wouldn't serve you well... it's still a decent rig.

Most people's complaints are that for a new (non-refurbished) 2011 iMac you're still paying full/release price. Where-as other companies will tend to lower the price of their older models after a time, Apple still has it at or near release price 500 days later.

The only other things people care about probably wouldn't affect you: USB3 / newer chipset / better GPU.