2011 imac meet my needs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by well2thebone, Sep 29, 2012.

1. well2thebone macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2010
    I'v been watching this site over the past few months and realize a new imac may be around the corner. However, the lack of any real news emerging has me wondering if a 2011 refurb imac will do the trick. I will be using it SOLELY for music production. It would be nice to be able to play sc2, but that doesn't matter too much. i will be using digital performer and an apogee interface (usb 2.0). I plan on using hardware synths, so from a cpu perspective, I mainly want the software to handle the daw and effects.

So i don't really think i need usb 3, but i would be more comfortable w/ i7 over i5, but i could get the upgraded 27 inch w/ i7. As far as ssd, i definitely want ssd, but im wondering if i will really see much benefit. Im currently on a 2009 macbook pro and the 5400 rpm is just unacceptable to me, but i figure 7200 will be a big improvement. from messing with them at best buy, it seems loading garageband on the retina macbook pro vs imac wasnt much of a difference. Will the ssd be a major advantage when handling a bunch of audio files?

Just wondering if you guys had any input on ssd advantages as well as i5 vs i7, is it that big a deal.
  2. karpich1 macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2007
    I don't see why the 2011 wouldn't serve you well... it's still a decent rig.

Most people's complaints are that for a new (non-refurbished) 2011 iMac you're still paying full/release price. Where-as other companies will tend to lower the price of their older models after a time, Apple still has it at or near release price 500 days later.

The only other things people care about probably wouldn't affect you: USB3 / newer chipset / better GPU.