2011 imac no longer switches audio to external speaker

Discussion in 'iMac' started by overmedium, Jun 23, 2012.

1. overmedium macrumors newbie

Hello,

It plays music thru the internal speakers, but when I plug in my external cable into the audio jack there is no 'switch' to the external output and so the internal speakers continue to play. I ran Hardware test and it says no problem.

Everything was working fine since i bought the unit earlier this year, and I'm thinking it may be related to a 'electronic signal overload event' that happened just last night: our buildings' front door buzzer got stuck on, and when I walked into my apartment last night my powered monitors were playing static even though there was no signal going thru my digital preamp. I live in a very old building with wiring that obviously has a lot to be desired.

Could be related or not, but time-wise it's a 100% correlation. When I hook up the preamp directly to my ipod it works just fine thru the powered speakers.

Any suggestions as to where to start to trouble shoot, short of taking this beast in?

2. overmedium thread starter macrumors newbie

more to the story

P.S. my ethernet card was working fine last night, but today it went down. So this is obviously ALL hardware related. Thankfully I happened to have a USB/Ethernet adapter. off to the :apple: shop!

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

If a power surge caused the damage, the power company will likely pay for anything damaged. My power company does anyway. You might also check with your building owner and/or home owners insurance. Get a good battery backup/surge protector!

4. overmedium thread starter macrumors newbie

Good Ideas. I can strike out building owner, though, as he is a stereotypical d-bag landlord.

I re-ran Hardware Test after ethernet stopped working... According to the Test nothing is still wrong. strange...

5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

You might try powering down the machine, and unplugging the power cable for a while. Sometimes works wonders.